PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Feelings in competitive sport

Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

Re: Feelings in competitive sport

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi Ron-

I know very little about competitive shooting and golf is certainly a little different. My warm-up to compete consists of first getting a feel for what's working that day. Every day is different and some days the swing feels good, others not so much, sometimes it's easier to play a draw and other days a cut. So I first get an idea as to what is working and then try to develop a little confidence with aiming at easy targets and looking to be repetitive. It's also easier to play, especially if the swing isn't all that consistent, if you feel like you can eliminate one side of the course. So my warm-up moves on to targets on one side of the range or the other to practice eliminating one side.

Once I'm finished with that basic routine, I would sometimes hit the shots required the first few holes I would play. I think, more than anything else, the entire routine is about creating an emotional freedom and comfort to take to the course. The more comfortable you can become the quieter the mind when swinging. The end goal is a focused but quiet mind.

I'm not sure any of this can help with a shooting comp, however.
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Hi Phil,

I think mental prep (which I think the warm-up prior to a match helps with) is important in almost all sports. Playing with the swing that you brought to the course is an interesting subject in and by itself. I have played enough golf (was a solid 5 handicap for the last few years that I played) that I understand what you mean by that. I am not sure it applies to shooting though, in fact I have found that I shoot the best when I am unaware of my body mechanics. I have also played my best golf when I got to the point that I didn't need to think about my swing. I would just visualize the flight of the ball and somehow I would make the swing required for the ball to make that exact flight. That is a great feeling!

Thanks,

Ron
FFI - CCI
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Phil Blackmar wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:46 pm Hi Ron-

We call the negative cycle the "rabbit hole" Stay out of the rabbit hole at al cost...

It begins with two detailed lists, red and green. Your'e looking for small indicators or red flags so you can catch the negative spiral early and so you know where you want to be also.

Thanks
Phil
Hi Phil -- I wanted to give you a progress report in return for you taking the time to explain this concept. I started making these "lists" -- I didn't write anything down but I made mental notes after I shot either really well or really poorly. I just spent a little time introspecting about how I felt. Again ... feelings are very complex and it's sometimes hard to explain, even to yourself how and what you feel. But after doing this during a couple of competitions I started to shoot really well. Like a lot better than my normal level -- so if I was normally hitting 80% I jumped to 90 or 95%. My focus while I was shooting was on how I felt instead of on what my score was or how I would do at the next station. That shift in focus, I think, is what made the difference. I have a lot more to learn about this but just wanted to say thanks.

Cheers,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m just about to hop on the bike for another gruelling 5hrs :D

I think this tension/nerves/excitement is something we need to embrace. Highest performance doesn’t come in practise. No one runs a world record time in training. It’s the excitement/intensity that leads to record breaking performances.

But it’s very very easy to fall apart under pressure. Just at a fishing shot level I encounter it myself and with guests all the time. I think there are two ways to deal with it. One is simply not to care. Personally I don’t think this is the right approach but I know it works for some people. The other is to embrace it and try to channel it into better performance.

I think that’s really great advice Phil that you’ve given Ron and I shall work with this too. I’ve just put up our conversation from last week. I enjoyed rewatching it while editing. Thanks again!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

RSalar wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:19 pm

Hi Phil -- I wanted to give you a progress report in return for you taking the time to explain this concept. I started making these "lists" -- I didn't write anything down but I made mental notes after I shot either really well or really poorly. I just spent a little time introspecting about how I felt. Again ... feelings are very complex and it's sometimes hard to explain, even to yourself how and what you feel. But after doing this during a couple of competitions I started to shoot really well. Like a lot better than my normal level -- so if I was normally hitting 80% I jumped to 90 or 95%. My focus while I was shooting was on how I felt instead of on what my score was or how I would do at the next station. That shift in focus, I think, is what made the difference. I have a lot more to learn about this but just wanted to say thanks.

Cheers,

Ron
That's great Ron. Really great to hear it has helped you which makes me "feel" good as well. Keep me updated.......

Phil
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Phil,

Great video discussion with Paul about sport. Thoroughly enjoyed it and very instructional.

John
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Thank you very much John. With respect to Paul's description of the 170 backcast resembling throwing a frisbee, I found this interesting. All the best. Phil

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for posting that video. Highlights a few things we've discussed about fly casting. The only thing that changes is the terminology.

Thanks again,

John
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

I think there is one big difference between throwing a frisbee, ball, or spear and throwing a fly line. When throwing a solid object all you are trying to do is maximize the velocity that it leaves your hand (flight angle too but that’s easy compared to getting a lot of velocity). When you throw a fly line from the end of a fly rod as far as you can, you also have to make sure that you form an aerodynamically efficient loop.

This is just a theory (and I’d be interested in your opinion) but I think if you got the maximum amount of line out on your back cast that you can handle comfortably and then just moved in whatever way you needed to on the forward stroke to generate the maximum amount of line speed, you would not make your longest cast. You need to make the proper body movements to get a high line speed AND an efficient loop.

—Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Ron,

It’s a good point you make. I see it as a balance. It’s not the best loop and it’s not the highest line speed but something in between. That’s one of the things I think we play with when competition distance casting.

If we were just to look at tracking. Ideal tracking would be vertical rod, vertical loop. But I don’t think our max power is from such a body configuration. Our max force is more side arm (IMO). However I would start with straight tracking and gradually deviate from that position adding force, as opposed to max force and trying to make it straighter.

With regards casting arc and forming a tighter loop, I think Stopless shows us, that under most competition conditions, a more open loop with higher line speed beats a tighter loop with lower line speed. In this case I would start with max line speed and gradually narrow down the arc.

Another consideration is when we apply force. As you know, I teach and cast applying force “late” in the rotation for distance. I can undoubtedly apply more force earlier. But I find that the line goes further applying force later in the stroke (post perpendicular). But then I do actually hit it :D

It’s largely those three elements that we play with. Plus line carry length and haul of course. Indeed those two factors come first and are overarching IMO.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”