PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Filming yourself casting

Moderator: JanMan

James9118
Answers: 0

Re: Filming yourself casting

Post by James9118 »

Hi WP,

The haul feedback timing on your forward cast in the film above is good - maybe think about getting the same sort of tempo in the backcast.

The shooting head you have is great for practicing single handed carry also. Pull the head in until the connection knot is in the tip ring, then lock it in place by wrapping the backing line around your index finger a couple of times and trapping it against the cork. Practice carrying this (other hand behind your back or in your pocket). First work on getting it all tracking straight, then look to take out the power to to minimum that keeps it in the air. From there you can play with loop shaping and trajectory. This is a great way to learn pull-back too.

Cheers, James
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

James
I did do a quick try on the way to Kwikfit,,, pot holes in this country are getting viscous.
The wind is really strong so straightening up without a haul was challenging even with the pull back that I can create.

I did in the odd calm try lifting the head with 12’ of overhang to make sure I wasn’t imaging , I got it back , but it wasn’t pretty and took a few casts to get the crinkles out.
Also tried with 1m deliberately targeting as PA said and adjusting the haul and bringing the torso round.., that really felt like it freed something up and the corresponding hit showed it. Bending that back leg though😂😂. It counterintuitive but feels less stable and I end up doing a kind of soft shoe shuffle to keep balance, I might need Lasse”s landing pad at this rate!

Off to wales tomorrow again there’s some big lawns waiting so I can put good some time in with all this advice.
Are you an Ms T fishing Saturday or waving buntings ?
All best to all
Pom
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Haha you’ll have to play with feet positions to find out what works for being stable. You can do this through pantomime.
94152A0D-2809-43D2-804C-CDDF516C5576.jpeg
94152A0D-2809-43D2-804C-CDDF516C5576.jpeg (63.26 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Playing with my feet positions tonight was challenging, :D finally feeling some movement in ankle and thought I’d give open stance the go again,( after 6-8 weeks ) was getting some great loops for me and further into backing than I’d been before :yeahhh: so I filmed it, excuse the loss of balance half way through and wincing.. bloody wimp. :???:
I was trying to get in more torso twist and picking the targets . I swear i got it back with pull back, but can’t see it,

Not best set of casts of evening but it’s about where iam .

So hopefully back on the adventure! Trying to see what I need to have in my head for next session.
No wind , very humid Same head as last time , line landed straightish . https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/843523414
Be kind to the poor cripple :upside:

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Pom,

Three things to try; 1) fully straighten the rod arm on the backcast. 2) I can’t see if you are picking targets before casting but if you are then it’s too late 3) your hauling arm is straight on the forward cast. You’ll generate much higher haul speed from straightening a bent elbow.

Nice casting boot!!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Paul
indebted to you . watched again and i can see what you mean, Il try first thing to try and bed those three thoughts in.

I hope im not being cheeky putting these up here , I kind of hope that it may encourage other beginners to film themselves.

Even without the excellent feed back its pretty plain to see how hopelessly unbalanced that hauling was ( thought i was completely different than that) .
i never realised i was actually extending the arc that far back ( and your saying go further). Great cant wait.
And there's something weird on the front cast rotation where my wrist goes further over than i imagined ( like the end of a darts shot).
when you say blocking is that here or in the body coming round?

the lower body i knew was stiff and the boot doesn't help, but grief it looked rigid. I cant see the pull back and you cant see me looking back at my target before i cast.
Its an education...

And if that scruffy git wafting around has the front to post himself maybe a few others will be encouraged.

It would be great to see others post there practice, and try to analyse what's wrong before reading the advice they are given, to get a better understanding of recognising faults.

ill shut up... I get carried away with enthusiasm sorry ( you probably wish i would :D )
POM

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

So look there are two techniques, Chris, and you now need both of them. One is the OSD, momentum travelling up through the body, as parts stop moving in turn, finally allowing the wrist to flip over. That’s a much more compact stroke. Your backcast ends up putting you into a more punching position – like a prize-fighter. Why do you need this at all? Because you are picking up maximum 70’ of line and often much less. And this keeps the initial backcast loops under control.

And then you are 170 here with the long stopless backcast with the straightening elbow on the backcast. And yes there is more by fully straightening it. I remember when I first learned to fully straighten I just moved up a gear.

But changing the haul will transform your cast. I teach “chicken wing” as a drill. It’s not quite what we want, but bringing the hauling hand close to the hauling shoulder (you can touch it with the thumb) and then rotating the body to put the rod hand in front of the line hand, will put a bend in the elbow which in turn can give far greater hauling line speed.

This idea of hands together at the beginning of the forward cast (as is commonly taught) I think is mistaken, and we are better off simply putting the hauling hand into its most effective and powerful starting position, and then to build the forward stroke around that. There is 10 feet there. It’s a big one.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Mate
That’s epic, thanks so much.
I’m going down the field now to give it a go before the rain hits
Afraid with the wonkey undercarriage I might not be able to push up through and the balance is a bit crook.but there’s plenty to work on with that hauling and straight arm…. And relax! Like Walter said on another thread my brain equates increasing speed with muscle and grip, which just chokes that rotation!
( at least I think that’s what he was saying 😂.. put an equation in front of me and my brain goes into max stupor mode)

At this rate I might need some longer backing🙂
Pom

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Well that’s something else but this is what I do. I pick my front target which is a point 15 degrees above my eye level. As I come through on the forward cast I look up for the third section of the rod appearing into vision. And then I draw an imaginary line straight down with the rod tip, from the sky to my target.

In other words the force applied to the rod butt is through rotation - not translation! Ie torque.

Anyway one thing at a time!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Couldn’t film the wind drove me to another bit of field
IMG_0265.jpeg
IMG_0265.jpeg (223.57 KiB) Viewed 749 times
Not the 10’ extra but nearly 6’past my best :yeahhh: and a few inches short of that bottle of champagne that’s been sat in the fridge. Once this boots off !!
Thanks for the help
Pom

Return to “Photography”