PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Stockholm Sweden – Ankara Turkey

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Bendix
Answers: 0

Re: Stockholm Sweden – Ankara Turkey

Post by Bendix »

Hi Johan

The story of the Salmon in the Varde river is a long one… About 30 years ago, the Varde Salmon was thought to be extinct! But then a local man caught a big one in the end of the 1990’ies. And a biologist took some scale samples, and compared them to some very old samples they had in stock… And it turned out, that this Salmon was part of the original Varde strain! So, something happened, and things started to change!
A lot of work began, with restoring the river, and recreating the spawning grounds, and generally fixing a lot of the damage that had been done to the river during the years after WW2. And they started to breed Salmon of the original strain, and stocking them in the river. This was a slow process, in which they also made rules about catch and release fishing regarding the Salmon.
However, all the hard work paid off, and since around 2010 the Salmon population has taken hold, and their numbers have been increasing ever since! And today, they return to the river each year in the thousands! Some of the Salmon that are returning are still the stocked ones, but roughly 50% of them are genuinely wild Danish Salmon! So it’s nothing short of a miracle!!!

The same thing has happened in other western rivers in Denmark, and today we have healthy Salmon populations, in about 6-7 rivers in Jutland. The best rivers are the Varde river, Skjern river, Storaa and the Ribe river. The Salmon fishing in these rivers, is actually just as good, or even better, than some of the most famous rivers in Norway!!!

However it’s not all good news… Because the Seatrout are having a hard time in some of the mentioned Danish rivers. And also the Brown Trout, and especially the Graylings are having a really hard time… The Grayling in particular, have been decimated by Cormorants in the recent years! And little is being done to help them…

But like I said, the Salmon fishing have been absolutely amazing since around 2010!!!

Cheers
Bendix
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Welcome Johan!

Nice to see another Swede here! I have been hanging around here about 20 years now - this is the best flyfishing site for sure.

Cheers

Thomas
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Johan wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:01 am Perth. This is so far from home that Google Maps wouldn't calculate any other means of transport but airplane. Ships are strangely not included.
Roger Osborne is an Eastern Australian Youtuber i follow. I understand he's trying to put together a community somewhat like Saltstrong in the SE of the US. I hope Rogers vision is sound and successful. Do you have any idea about this? I need something like this for Turkey. Fishing here is very undeveloped.
Hi Johan,

Yes, Perth is a long way from anywhere. Not many passenger boats arrive from Europe ... it would take a few weeks to get here.

It's also a long way from NSW. Asking if I know about Roger's work in eastern Australia is a bit like me asking you if you know about the fishing in northern Morocco: Perth is about 3300 km from Sydney. :)

I'm quite glad the fishing here is remote and undeveloped. We still find some good fishing along the coast if we go looking.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Reminds me a story Billy Connolly told where when he asked for directions to get to the theatre the person said “I don’t think you can get there from here!”

It is actually possible to get to Perth however :) I actually cycled there once in a fit of madness!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Johan

Post by Johan »

Morocco... I'm illuminated. Guess Rogers task will take serious time to cover the continent 🥸

Paul. Now I see that wherever you started from, bicycling there is a fit of madness. Where did you start?

A long time friend and fishing buddy. He once had the brilliant idea to go to Australia an drive all the way around it. The brilliant part of this was that he had a very very good looking girlfriend and a camper van plus m many days ahead. Sooner than later there was more distance left than days.

Cape North is far. Northern point of Europe. Far even as the three of us where in Lappland. We looked at a map and set off. Cause it didn't seem to far and it could be fun to see the place. Sometimes it's better not knowing. Enjoyed watching two (15kg class) salmon in a gin clear but restricted pool in a small river north of Alta. And I stopped fishing after counting to 27 market sized cod, fishing from an ancient small abandoned whaling harbour in the midnight sun.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I started in Brisbane, Johan. :) Cycled south and then across the bottom. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I drove a van around Australia, many years ago, the trip took 6 months. I’d have been about 23 at the time. I remember driving roads that were only semi-sealed. Amazing sunsets in the desert.

I’ve visited Alta too, but I flew there! Spent a week fishing for arctic Char with dry flies, fighting mosquitoes and losing. The advice I was given for having an outdoor dump, was to climb to the highest hill, where it was likely to be breezier and therefore less mosquitoes :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Johan

Post by Johan »

Brisbaine 😲 👏 Wow! My half-brother lives there. This is a looong trip on a bicycle. With any land transport in fact. And it was actually a good idea. Wasn't it?

Mosquitoes and the blackflies never let us rest unless we are in a windy place. And they sure knows to team up when there is a sitting duck crouching in the bushes. 😂 Any little hilltop with a view will do.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep it was about 5000Km. I had a really great sense of freedom but was only fishing a couple of days/week. I can certainly understand those who go on bike tours however. And I was pretty fit by the time I reached Perth!

I’ll be really interested to hear more about those trout when you connect with them :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Johan

Post by Johan »

Fit after 5000km. No exaggeration here. I remember a true story about a young Australian woman riding camels far and finally reaching the coast. I think your story deserves to be told, just like hers.

I promise to post as soon as I have something to tell about trout in Turkey. Now I'm in Sweden.

Spring is just around the corner. Today all trees are still bare. One of the last days this year. There is still some ice. I look forward for May 1, as we will gather for this season's first casting class. How fun!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah it’s nothing special. I met loads of cyclists biking around Australia. Didn’t meet any going the full distance but I know plenty do. Since then if I meet someone touring I always offer water, sometimes a place to stay and find out where they are going. I met one German chap here in Malaysia who had cycled here from Germany. He had been on the road for over a year.

I hope you have a great start to the season!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”