PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Pullback and lacrosse!

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

George C
Answers: 0

Re: Pullback and lacrosse!

Post by George C »

Hi Bernd
In picture one the rod is unrolling. A wave of energy is moving away from the butt and towards the tip. If one increases tension by pulling back on the butt ‘leg’ the tip ‘leg’ will be accelerated similar to what occurs in the line once it begins to unroll, no? Certainly pullback after loop formation has important effects as well but I think it is a mistake to discount its effects on the speed with which a rod unloads.
Thanks
George
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree with that George. Forced unloading or Spring/Swing/Whip with emphasis on the whip.

This is going back aways when I was cycling around the Australian coast. https://www.sexyloops.com/movies/pullback.avi
I filmed this because at the time pull-back wasn’t allowed in the MCI exam to create overpowered curves because it was considered by some to be a “mend”. I wanted to show that it PB can occur before RSP/loop formation.

I think Bernd is suggesting that the increased bend at MCF is because of the butt being moved backwards. But it could be a result of more force being applied during the casting stroke/ forced unloading.

I posted the video on the previous Board and the agreement was that there are several reasons for it.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul,
when your tip section is moving right while you move your butt section left, how can that not increase bend? Of course it does. As the slomos show.

George,
You mean the rod unloads faster and thus creates more tip speed (when running into the s)? I am not disagreeing.
I remember we wiggled rods left,right,left right to activate the "second mode frequency" as it was called, if I remember correct.
I may upload Aitors video on my Vimeo. He offered to do so, if there's interest.
Regards
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t disagree. The question is: is what happens while the rod is unloading more significant, or as the rod leg is forming more significant, or is it a combination of both?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”