PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Which line weight for a multi rated rod?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Which line weight for a multi rated rod?

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

George C wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:14 am How rods are actually rated.
“Oh Dearrrrrrr,……does this line make my rod look soft ? “
And then you realise, its you who bend the rod, and you keep on fishin'
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:31 am AFFTA standard measures at 30 feet.
A 5 weight DT weighs more at 60 feet than a 5 weight WF at 60 feet which has a headlength of 45 feet, and a 5 weight shootinghead at 60 feet which is 30 feet long. Common sense one would think :D
Let's talk common sense.... From the OP: "Usage will be for a beginner fishing some local, smallish, still waters in UK. So basically needs to be easy to cast." I doubt 60 foot casts will be a regular occurance for this beginner on smallish water. And a short shooting head would probably not be easy to cast that distance.

But that's besides the point. Just because these various tapers weigh more or less at 60 yards doesn't mean the rod designer, when he/she specified 6,7,8 meant that the rod was meant to cast a 6SH, 7WF, and 6DT. That's just someones guess as to what those number mean. And I doubt it is correct because he could have specified 6SH, 7WF, or 6DT but didn't -- so you think he was trying to save on ink? Common sense would suggest that the rod designer meant 5, 6, or 7 wt fly line regardless of taper -- it's just a range of line weights. Try a line and see if you like it based on your casting style. Common sense one would think. :D
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Try a line and see if you like it based on your casting style.
What’s “casting style” and how do you find a line to match it?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Just because these various tapers weigh more or less at 60 yards doesn't mean the rod designer, when he/she specified 6,7,8 meant that the rod was meant to cast a 6SH, 7WF, and 6DT. That's just someones guess as to what those number mean.
Did you read Steve’s article?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Alan,

You could get the #5 or #6 barrio SLX, perfect for throwing weighted streamers, and performing roll casts down the bottom of Snipe etc. Not so good for dries, but then you would use a lighter outfit :cool:

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

I doubt 60 foot casts will be a regular occurance for this beginner on smallish water. And a short shooting head would probably not be easy to cast that distance.
Hi Ron,

60' plus casts are often a necessity on small still waters, how short is short in regards to the shooting heads?

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
VGB

Post by VGB »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:30 pm 60' plus casts are often a necessity on small still waters
Usually about 15 minutes after opening time, after the 30 feet of water nearest the bank has been thrashed into a foamy mess 😂. The SLX is a good shout. I had a beginner cast a #6 into a tree about 60 ft on his first time out. I distinctly remember saying “be careful of that tree on the opposite bank”, as I sloped off to pick up the bacon rolls. I looked back, having walked 50 yards, to see a big cheesy grin and the line dangling from about 40ft in the tree, he must have really hit it.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Did you measure the line Alan? Length, head length (or DT), weight at 30’?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
alanj

Post by alanj »

Hi, Sadly not managed to get back there yet - its the other side of the country.
I do have a #8 line for it and some dealers scales now, so all set when I get there.
Alan
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:

Return to “Tackle”