PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The road to 120 … andy dear

Commenting on the Sexyloops’ Front Page
whinging pom
Answers: 0

The road to 120 … andy dear

Post by whinging pom »

Any post that starts with a Ben Hogan reference will always draw me in!! :D ( what a heroic figure!)

Sounds like you’re a bit further down the track than me on the journey and enjoyed the inspirational read.
You mention
CONSCIOUSLY reminding myself about the "micro moves" need to execute the 170

Without meaning to put you on the spot can you describe them.
Many thanks
WP
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
aldear
Answers: 0

Re: The road to 120 … andy dear

Post by aldear »

Sure! From a macro standpoint, late wrist rotation is the one I have to consciously work on. I know what my ingrained tracking fault is, so have to be constantly conscious of that as well. From a more micro viewpoint, grip pressure has been key in being able to hold the wrist angle longer. Also still have to remind my self that thumb on top is not ideal for 170. Like Nick, I use the V Grip for 170. And lastly, it does take a certain amount of forearm strength to turn the rod over so late in the stroke with authority and be able to control it…especially on (for me) the forward cast. So be aware this will take time to develop. Being conscious of trajectory is also important. This last weekend I started filming my casting, and one of the things that I noticed is that I tend to lean down and forward on the final delivery. Most of these faults have come from the assumption over the past 25 years….such as the idea that you have to use brute force to get it to go far but that is just not the case. So I’m having to try it undo all of those faults both physical and mental. For me every cast I make that flies past 105’ theres 10 that don’t reach 100’ I’ve accepted this is part of refining the technique and process. That ratio will get better and better as time goes on. Hope that helps…..any questions please feel free to reach out!

Andy

Return to “FP Discussions”