PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What line for an 11' 3wt?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

onyxweb
Answers: 0

Re: What line for an 11' 3wt?

Post by onyxweb »

alanj wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:29 pm I'm using a Bario SmallStream on my 10' #3 ( Shakespeare affinity ).
Really like this setup. Cheap but performs very well for me.
https://www.flylineshop.com/
Good call, thank you.

Have the Barrio SLX, which is a demon...i the right place!
onyxweb

Post by onyxweb »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:15 am Well the name “Switch” and the website talking about Spey Lines and fishing streamers for me says it’s a light two handed rod. I don’t know of a specific line but I would be thinking a 5WT(+) line with… 50’(ish) head? But there are a lot of variables in that.

Used as a lochstyle single handed rod, certainly a lighter line, but it’s difficult for me to imagine an 11’ #3. Finding a true to weight 3WT flyline… SA certainly.

Cheers, Paul
Interesting...'sold as a switch'...so why would the #3 warrant your suggestion of a #5 line?

Rio say that you should come down two sizes if using their switch lines on a SH rod.

I'm confused!

AFTM is determined by the weight, in grains, of the front 30' of the fly line, right? How does double-handedness impact this?

Thanks,

B
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

AFFTA is determined by weight over length. There's a single hand standard and a two hand standard.

Thing is, marketing goes alot faster than standards, the twohanded starts at a 6 weight.

Pauls 5vweight suggestion is on par with the fake 3 weight from sunray you where looking at earlier. It weighs above the affta single hand standard for a 4 weight, and just below a 5 weight.

Longer rods tend to be stiffer and most people like heavier lines on them to feel things.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

The 11/3 rods I cast were definitely single hand rods. I'm sorry that I did not bother to look or ask about brands of rods and lines. It was just a curiosity for me.

I did also cast a 10 or+ something 4wt? It was a specific "Euro nymph" rod. That rod was beyond my comprehension and 180 degrees from the enjoyment of the 11/3.

There is no need for a second hand when casting a 3wt, even if it is 11 feet long. It did not seem like it was a 5 wt line as it was extremely delicate.

Unfortunately, I cannot imagine a situation where I would use an 11/3. Obviously, not anywhere around here in the salt, not for even the tiniest tarpon or snook. And the creeks that I only occasionally fish for trout are tight and require sub 9' rods.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bass,

The Barrio SLX 3 is a 5WT according to AFFTA. So that would be about right. The reason I suggested a slightly longer head was because the rod is longer and so you can realistically put more line in the D loop.

Generally lines that are sold for roll casting are overweight. Two handed rods generally use heavier lines because they are mostly used for Spey casting and the guys using them prefer them this way. Hell there is now a AFFTA Spey line table that requires a cup of coffee.

Used as a single handed rod I don’t know this rod and so can’t advise. Lochstyle with a 3WT line (eg DT3 that actually weighs a 3WT) would be rather interesting. I just don’t think any rod longer than about 8’ casts a 3WT line with finesse!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:07 pm Hell there is now a AFFTA Spey line table that requires a cup of coffee.

Cheers, Paul
It was approved and adopted by AFFTA in 2005 :D

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I know!! Int it amazing how long we have lived :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Mostly amazing how long it takes to change things... wonder gow much longer we have to live to see that :D

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The Spey weights seem to start at 6WT, which at 40’ is 250 grains? Do they have lighter nunbers?

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Not in the standard, which isn't used much, as just after it was approved, Skagit users decided not to go by 3 times rod length but 2 times rodlength, and suddenly it was not working properly for most used heads. Shorter and shorter have been the name of the game ever since.
And these days it's trout spey, with rods marked as 1 to 5 and lines of varying weights and lengths.. It's like the wild west :kungfu:

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Tackle”