PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Long distance Jump Rolls /Switch.

Rickard
Answers: 0

Re: Long distance Jump Rolls /Switch.

Post by Rickard »

Some quick results from the competition Lasse mentions.
Competitions up to 2019 are found here: https://www.edgeflyfishing.com/ipb/inde ... sting-cup/
2014 is missing actual distances.

Code: Select all

1. Joakim Karlsson (flyfisher666) -27,9 meter
2. Magnus Uhr (Sasse) - 25,1 meter
3. Christer Appelgren (C A) - 23,9 meter
4. Roger Håkansson (Roger H) - 23,5 meter

1 Ronny Landin 28,1
2 Jarle Sandberg 27,5

1 Jarle Sandberg 28,6
2 Magnus Hammarström 28,1
3 Tom A Wangensteen 27,9

1. Staffan Dahlbom - 26,55 m
2. Ronny Landin - 26,10 m
3. Tellis K - 25,75 m

Ronny Landin
Magnus Hammarström
Robert Hansson

1 Magnus Hammarström 26,19
2 Ronny Landin 25,67
3 Staffan Dahlbom 25,50

Ronny Landin 25,14
Mattias Lilleheim 24,25
Björn Knutslid 23,87

Mathias Lilleheim 26,8
Thomas Berggren 26,3
Magnus Hammarström 25

Ronny Landin 27,3
Magnus Hammarström 25,8
Thomas Berggren 25,6

Thomas Berggren 27,1
Ronny Landin 27,0
Staffan Dahlbom 25,7

Thomas Berggren 24,2
Tellis Katsogiannos 23,8
Jon Hansson 23,2
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

bartdezwaan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:23 pm I see.
Hauling on the backcast gave me the longest distance.
Hi Paul,
Same for me.
In my exp hauling freezes the apex of the D to some degree from moving further backwards. That easily can lead into a smaller D. But tension should be increased.
Find the sweet combination and perfect adjustment and I had best results with hauling into the D, BUT consistancy dropped.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bernd,

The problem with hauling when setting up the D loop is that you either: decrease tension when you reposition your line hand for the next cast, or sacrifice some of the next haul. It’s not the “down” part of the haul that’s the problem. It’s how to make the “up” without losing tension. Taking the line hand up again, involves having some line travel out through the rod tip, it is this that decreases tension in the D loop.

Consequently double hauling during a jump roll usually results in decreased tension, not increased tension. Which is a little bit counterintuitive.

There are some other differences too, but this is the primary one.
In my exp hauling freezes the apex of the D to some degree from moving further backwards.
I don’t understand this. I see the apex of the D form like all other loops, with line passing the rod tip. The apex runs down from the rod tip, forming the rod leg. For a tighter V you want a straighter rod tip path during the Sweep.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Paul,
I wrote that from an old time memory when I was chasing longest possible jump rolls a lot.
It didnt make sense, when I reread this morning. So I went out and checked.
Hauling into the anchor set up increases speed. That easily lead me into loosing control. I think for compensation I started to move the rod forward early. Like go, go, kiss. Its this early movement slowing the D and kinda freezing it.
Still, when I hit it perfect, the one longest comes with a high tensioned hauled D-loop. I think my avg. is higher without hauling into the D. So it needs training and timing gets more critical when hauling into the D.
Cheers
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

So that leads to some of the other differences. If you want to increase Tension without a haul you can increase the acceleration of the rod at the end of the back stroke. The first time people try this they usually blow their anchor, and so further adjustments need to be made. Most of us flick up with the rod tip when forming the D loop, which is what causes the anchor to miss.

With this technique you don’t lose tension with the up movement of the line hand. Forward rod movement then further increases D loop tension because there is no line slip through the rod rings.

Most of here, I would think, haul as a matter of course with the Jump Roll. I had been doing this myself, and teaching the same, for over 20 years. 2 or 3 hours of playing around not hauling, and instead using a more aggressive backcast, and it definitely goes further without the back haul. For me it’s about 6 feet further and so quite significant.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”