PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Raising my hand

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Raising my hand

Post by Paul Arden »

Matching casting arc to rod bend means that RSP is just below line path. Stopless means that the rod tip finishes pointing to target (or rotated further). Yes I teach Casting Arc but this is a discussion about trajectories and I teach trajectories first and foremost by positioning targets.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Do you position a target for launch or to put the fly into?
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s where I aim. But the loop itself has a different trajectory. For one thing it’s launched from behind the rod tip which is above our heads. The trajectory of the loop is certainly higher than our target. But the simple thing is to adjust our target height to adjust our trajectory.

I don’t consciously adjust arc. I adjust target and the arc adjustments happen automatically.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:49 am But the simple thing is to adjust our target height to adjust our trajectory.
I take it, that the answer to my question is you dont target where the fly lands, but target above the water/grass. When yet not at launch direction either.
Somewhere in between though?
Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:49 am I don’t consciously adjust arc. I adjust target and the arc adjustments happen automatically.
Well, if the arc adjustment happens, you adjust arc, knowingly or not knowingly.... no? I think I get your point though.
Cheers
B
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The target is where I aim when casting. For example on delivery shot that means 1” above the water surface. For a distance launch that is a 15 degree elevation, above eye level, over a tree in the distance for example. For a backcast 170 it might be looking at the horizon. If I want to change things I pick a higher or lower spot. Ultimately that is what determines everything else that follows. We need a cue and picking a target is the obvious one. And I’m sure it’s the same for all throwing sports.

We don’t, or at least I don’t, change trajectory by thinking about casting arc, I just target higher or lower.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

That works of course.
As does to ask your student to tilt the arc from 10:30/1 to 9:30/12 for lowering trajectory to a fish being closer.
I like to work with positioning and sizening of arc to adjust loop shape, line speed and trajectory.
Always has worked very fast for me.
I think its about how we explain things rather than which way we pick.
The result tells how good you are as a teacher.
Cheers
B
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I will talk about rotating the arc, but I really want them picking and adjusting targets. And then after a while that’s all they need to think about. And when they are making a shot to a fish, or a distance cast in a competition, or whatever it is they have to accomplish at the time, then all they need to remember is targets.

And if they can just remember the back target, as in every cast, then we have already moved mountains.

There is another very important part to this by the way. And that is about picking an external cue that is a very long distance away. The horizon, or a vanishing point at infinity for that matter, is a more effective cue in my opinion than rod tip or angle change. For one thing it encompasses tracking and in a way that no other cue comes close.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Paul,
You call it rotating the arc, I call it positioning of arc then....
What helps me best for tracking is a front video of a) my student and b) one of myself. That clicks big time when I ask to focus mainly on the forearm.
I see excellent tracking afterwards almost all the time. Most students can do this, once they understand it and know how to check for it.
Its fine to pick external cues. But I prefer filming myseöf to see what I want to improve.
Works more precise and faster for me.
Cheers
B
VGB

Post by VGB »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:32 am That clicks big time when I ask to focus mainly on the forearm.
I see excellent tracking afterwards almost all the time. Most students can do this, once they understand it and know how to check for it.
Hi Bernd

What exactly do you ask them to do with their forearm?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

What level of student are you discussing, Bernd?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”