PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The lucky hat

Commenting on the Sexyloops’ Front Page
whinging pom
Answers: 0

The lucky hat

Post by whinging pom »

IMG_8726.jpeg
Mike your post tickled me. I wonder how many of us are superstitious with our fishing and what we wear. I hate changing wading boots and will wear them until I’m in danger of spilling out of them, my last pair out lived 4 pairs of stocking foot waders Tying into the wading boot is such a ritual of setting up I guess!

One of my clients is the crown prince of a Middle Eastern oil kingdom , He does lots of shooting and fishing in the Uk. Last year I saw the above as I walked into the property .
He’d handed it to his butler after a trip and declared “make sure I never wear this when iam shooting again, I can’t hit a thing wearing it !”

It’s seems none of us are immune !
Pom
Ps don’t know what the lawn is below ??!!!
Attachments
IMG_9924.jpeg
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
James9118

Re: The lucky hat

Post by James9118 »

Funnily enough I have a cap that I've 'retired' because it just doesn't work as far as catching fish or casting a long way goes :D

Once you get a 'fishy' cap though you need to keep it as long as you can, here's my current one. I really don't want to replace this one :yeahhh: :pirate: .
IMG_20230707_095025506.jpg
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

AF1202D0-1F7D-4B4C-ABEF-8D865F4AE82E.jpeg
AF1202D0-1F7D-4B4C-ABEF-8D865F4AE82E.jpeg (87.94 KiB) Viewed 501 times
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

AAh thats what was missing when we fished the Elwy. :glare: ...it wasn't my beautiful silk line that stunk after all... you just didn't have the lucky hat on :D
James , Rio products would be so proud if they saw that..

Paul is that what you make your casting gloves out of?
are you still doing that trick?

Bendix

Post by Bendix »

I’ve never had a lucky hat, or any other lucky item I can’t live without on the river…

But I do have a couple of other superstitions:

I always have to put my socks on my right foot first, in order to catch fish…
I find that wearing a visible and empty fish stringer in my wading belt while fishing Seatrout on the coast is bad luck…
And finally, I find that bringing any kind of fish carrier tailing device (fish stringer?) while at a Salmon river, whether visible or in the bottom of my backpack, is really bad luck…

I think I need a therapist…

Cheers, Bendix
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Bendix wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:38 pm I’ve never had a lucky hat, or any other lucky item I can’t live without on the river…

But I do have a couple of other superstitions:

I always have to put my socks on my right foot first, in order to catch fish…
I find that wearing a visible and empty fish stringer in my wading belt while fishing Seatrout on the coast is bad luck…
And finally, I find that bringing any kind of fish carrier tailing device (fish stringer?) while at a Salmon river, whether visible or in the bottom of my backpack, is really bad luck…

I think I need a therapist…

Cheers, Bendix
:D :D :D Think?… it’s a given!

VGB

Post by VGB »

I have a lucky hat that I lost, I'd put it on the line to dry after a rainy fishing trip (you don't wash lucky hats, it removes the luck), and when I went back the next day it was gone. Three years later, I saw something sticking out of a flower bed which turned out to be my hat. I'm guessing it blew off the line and my Jack Russell terrier buried it to keep his garden tidy. I still have it but it is in a bad way and sits near my rods to transfer the luck by osmosis.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

VGB wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:41 am I have a lucky hat that I lost, I'd put it on the line to dry after a rainy fishing trip (you don't wash lucky hats, it removes the luck), and when I went back the next day it was gone. Three years later, I saw something sticking out of a flower bed which turned out to be my hat. I'm guessing it blew off the line and my Jack Russell terrier buried it to keep his garden tidy. I still have it but it is in a bad way and sits near my rods to transfer the luck by osmosis.
We really need to have the tale qualified with a picture of either you or the Jack Russell wearing that hat or I’m afraid it’s unsubstantiated, and your street cred on sexy loops will be zero!

VGB

Post by VGB »

That particular terrier has long since gone to Devon to chase hamsters and been replaced by another equally mischievous pooch that is now 14 years old. I'll have to have a dig in the shed for the hat, old smelly hats have many enemies and I never had any street cred anyway :D

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Post by VGB »

There’s a trace of the original green on the photo of the inside of the hat. It does lack the designer tears that James has in his hat but I’m older than him and look good in my hat anyway :D. The terrier would never have been seen dead in my hat, he was a cool dude.
Attachments
IMG_0403.jpeg
IMG_0778.jpeg
IMG_0777.jpeg

Return to “FP Discussions”