PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Brunn Shield - Round 3 - Ballarat (Australia)

ChrisBaty
Answers: 0

Brunn Shield - Round 3 - Ballarat (Australia)

Post by ChrisBaty »

A quick run down on a casting comp I cast in today as part of the Australian Casting Federations casting calendar. The round consists of a Dry Fly, SKISH & Wet Fly event. Top four totals from each club are combined to give club’s daily total. Only second time I have cast competitively so was reasonably happy with how I went. More importantly I picked up a few things through the day that will help me going forward.

Round 3 of the Brunn Shield was contested under very trying conditions today. Ballarat really put on a show of cold, wet and windy weather but some excellent casting was witnessed by those that were brave enough to come out for a look. With Ballarat starting the day with a deficit of 7 points some exceptional casting by their team helped them post a total daily score of 687, 38 more than Sunshine/Geelong’s 649. Ballarat now lead by 31 points with only one round to cast. Never a dull moment, the Brunn Shield’s final round is set to be a beauty. Thanks to Ballarat for hosting the day and well done to all casters. Top daily honours go to Mark Cuthbert with a brilliant 181.

Personal daily totals in casting order were : Chris Baty - 145, Stephen Lock - 158, Ron Heath - 162, Philip Smith - 178, Keith Howden - 142, John Close - 161, Allan Marchant - 143, Mark Cuthbert - 181, Brian Cox - 145, Nick Roche - 167, Ken Lucas - 174, Darren Cutler - 141 & Ted Whittam - 168
Attachments
IMG_4681.jpeg
IMG_4891.jpeg
John Waters

Re: Brunn Shield - Round 3 - Ballarat (Australia)

Post by John Waters »

Well done Chris, I can't get to any events this year and am missing both the competition and the camaraderie.

A July wind in Ballarat can be testing,

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s fantastic. Great to have inter-club competitions! How I wish this was a global phenomenon. How does the scoring work?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:23 pm That’s fantastic. Great to have inter-club competitions! How I wish this was a global phenomenon. How does the scoring work?

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul, yes it is a fantastic way to get casters engaged. Scoring works on a deduction system. Dry Fly & Wet Fly events the caster starts with 50. 3 casts are made at each target (5 targets in total), 0 deducted for inner ring, 1 deducted for outer ring and 2 deducted for a clean miss. With Dry Fly event at least 1 false cast must be made between each cast. The Wet Fly Event the caster can only false cast until fly hits the water for 1st time (this can be used as a measuring cast) and then each cast from then on is PUALD. SKISH is done on a similar basis with Dry Fly (50points), Roll Cast (25points) and Wet Fly (25points) all cast in the one event for a possible total of 100. The same deduction system for the Dry and Wet parts but the Roll Cast is against the clock. Caster has to make two hits in the middle of the target before they can move to the next target. First hit worth 3 & second hit worth 2, they take as many shots as required until they run out of time. A possible daily total for an individual caster is 200. I’m very new to this so I hope I haven’t confused this explanation.

Cheers Chris
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

John Waters wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:01 pm Well done Chris, I can't get to any events this year and am missing both the competition and the camaraderie.

A July wind in Ballarat can be testing,

John
John, it was very testing and that which shows in most of the scores. Watching some of the casters you’d think they were casting in near ideal conditions though, amazing skills. Ken Lucas posted a 96 in the SKISH, incredible to watch. Hopefully you’ll be back to it as normal again next season.

Cheers Chris
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Chris,

Ken's 96 from a possible 100 points is a great result, especially given it was the Australian SKISH, not the ICSF SKISH event. Ken is one of only 6 casters who have achieved a possible 200 points over all three accuracy events at a single tournament. That's a 60 consecutive perfect casts at targets in a single tournament. The wet fly section of that event is the most challenging casting event I've ever seen, and in that wind, it is more challenging. Ken has been super caster for many years and for him to achieve that result, in those conditions, as a late octogenarian, makes it even more meritorious. I'm doing a lot of training for next year, but getting to our weekend events this year is not possible for me, I'll get stuck into some tournaments next year. Phil Smith's 48 points from a possible 50 points was also a super result in those conditions.
I'll get down to Geelong for the after-lunch sessions of both the Victorian and Australian Championships and look forward to seeing you cast. You are to be congratulated on your results also, well done on both your plug and fly results this year.

John
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

John Waters wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:49 am Hi Chris,

Ken's 96 from a possible 100 points is a great result, especially given it was the Australian SKISH, not the ICSF SKISH event. Ken is one of only 6 casters who have achieved a possible 200 points over all three accuracy events at a single tournament. That's a 60 consecutive perfect casts at targets in a single tournament. The wet fly section of that event is the most challenging casting event I've ever seen, and in that wind, it is more challenging. Ken has been super caster for many years and for him to achieve that result, in those conditions, as a late octogenarian, makes it even more meritorious. I'm doing a lot of training for next year, but getting to our weekend events this year is not possible for me, I'll get stuck into some tournaments next year. Phil Smith's 48 points from a possible 50 points was also a super result in those conditions.
I'll get down to Geelong for the after-lunch sessions of both the Victorian and Australian Championships and look forward to seeing you cast. You are to be congratulated on your results also, well done on both your plug and fly results this year.

John
Yes, great casting from Phil also. It doesn’t surprise me at all that Ken has posted perfect scores in the past. One can only hope to cast as well as he does when we get to his age. Thanks for the kind words on my casting, I’ve progressed nicely through the year. There’s still a long way to go before I start to plateau I think. Quite challenging trying to improve across so many disciplines simultaneously; distance and accuracy across fly, spin and multiplier. The dedication from those of you that are good across them all just astounds me. Distance day for us this weekend so will have the T38 and T120 out again. Vic Champs are very close now, will be good to catch up with you in the afternoon at that.

Cheers Chris
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Chris. I’ve been show the event /layout before; it’s nice to understand the scoring. (I’m sure it was explained to me at the time). In fact it may have been John who showed me. Or perhaps John Kruska. It might be interesting for others here to see the course layout. Is there a link for this?

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:00 am It might be interesting for others here to see the course layout. Is there a link for this?

Thanks, Paul
Hi Paul, it’s not easy to find. It’s something we’re not very good at presently. Here are the 3 different event layouts. Hope you all find it of some interest. Spent the afternoon practising a few of the things that tripped me up yesterday with a few of the others. Just have to remember to apply them in the moment.

Cheers
Chris
Attachments
IMG_5880.jpeg
IMG_5881.jpeg
IMG_5882.jpeg
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

A lot of strip measuring in the wet fly. The Skish is interesting. Do I understand this right:

Roll cast left to right. Two hits at a target before you can move on? So it could take three? But still get 5 points?
And then go round again with wet fly. Similar deal. But there is a time limit?

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”