PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Bruce Richards video

Commenting on the Sexyloops’ Front Page
John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: Bruce Richards video

Post by John Waters »

Hi Brian,

Many similarities and some variations between fly distance casting and javelin. I've posted both here before so won't repeat each. Ditto my earlier comments with baseball, cricket, tennis and golf. You are correct, there is extensive convergence in javelin technique. Stretch and release, accelerate and brake, summation of forces are fundamental patterns used in all throwing and hitting sports. The greatest myth is that rotation of the body segments destroys tracking and hand speed opportunities get lost in the translate then rotate "essential" for fly casting. The only divergence in javelin is wrap vs over the shoulder hand path, exemplified by Zelezny and Backley, respectively. Both produce looooong throws so as to the fundamental movement patterning, I would agree that much convergence exists. It's all about impulse.

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

John Waters wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:58 am The only divergence in javelin is wrap vs over the shoulder hand path, exemplified by Zelezny and Backley, respectively.
Hi John

That divergence comes after 2500 years of honing the technique and pretty much what the Japanese baseball pitchers study came up with, convergence followed by divergence at the extremes of effort.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-87614-z
he current study clarifies that common features are obvious in distinguishing between low and high effort and that unique features are evident in differentiating high and highest efforts.
regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Vince,

I am not sure what specific movements you are referring to as divergent in javelin.

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi John
wrap vs over the shoulder hand path, exemplified by Zelezny and Backley
Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Vince,

I disagree, I think the differences in alignment (wrap - Zelezney vs linear- Backley) are primarily constraint driven and suspect both have existed for 2500 years.

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi John

I'm not a javelin aficionado but did follow the Bell/Backley/Sanderson/Whitbread competitions back in the day. What specific constraints are you talking about?

Vince

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Vince,

Physiology generally determines which of the two works best. Blakley was a great thrower. In my view he exemplifies shoulder rotation as the primary driver of throwing performance, whereas others use the elbow. A superb technician. He would make a great caster.

John
FishNoGeek

Post by FishNoGeek »

John Waters wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:01 pm Physiology generally determines which of the two works best. Blakley was a great thrower. In my view he exemplifies shoulder rotation as the primary driver of throwing performance, whereas others use the elbow. A superb technician. He would make a great caster.
This was also my impression after yesterday's flurry of so-called research. I hadn't found Backley yet, but he seems to be a healthy contrast with Johannes Vetter, who appears to be one of the current big men of the sport....and I mean that, he's BIG. Seems like the fairly standard trade-off between power and technique that we find across many sports. Backley needed to be a technician in part because he wasn't massive. Nothing wrong with either approach, just a matter of matching technique to physique.

I got a chance to cast with Rick Hartman early this year, and this exchange reminded me of that experience. I'm not a small dude, but Rick's a BEAST. He's got wrist and forearm and bicep and shoulder and core strength that I just don't have and never will. He can specific operations - like verrrrry late (and fast!) wrist rotation with a grip that's very far down on the rod - that I intend to approach with more training, but realistically, I'm just not going to get to his level. I'll have to compensate with other refinements if I intend to weasel my up to his level.

John, my apologies for not having tracked down what you've posted on this topic in the past. Looking into it now!
"What gets my cast into trouble isn't what I know how to do - it's what I think I know how to do that just ain't working."
- Mark Twain
VGB

Post by VGB »

Thanks John, that pretty much aligns with Rob Grays review of the Japanese paper as well, where individual divergence occurred about the 80% effort mark.

I guess if Backley ever comes for a lesson and a day out, I'll have to work on my terminology. Saying "hit it" could be an expensive day at the office.

Regards

Vince

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Vince,

I wonder what Backley or Zelezny would charge me for a fly casting lesson, now that would be money very well spent.

John

Return to “FP Discussions”