PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rio Windcutter Spey Line

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

onyxweb
Answers: 0

Rio Windcutter Spey Line

Post by onyxweb »

Hey!

Er...I've just bought a reel from Ebay, and it came with a Rio Windcutter 10/11 with a sink tip. (is this likely to be a versitip?)

Rio don't make it any more, I think.

Anyone know anything about it? Any good, and if so - what for :-) ? What's it's current equivavlent?

Many thanks,

Bass
tigfly

Re: Rio Windcutter Spey Line

Post by tigfly »

I have used a Windcutter versitip spey for quite a few years and like it for shallow to five foot depth water when steelheading in Ohio. These rivers aren’t particularly deep
and of moderate currents. When it gets to mid winter and there is ice and slush and below freezing conditions I switch to skagit and tips. Other than that it casts nicely and I think would be considered a short spey at 60’long.
It is much easier to cast than my 73’ barstool Delta Long Interchangeable tip.

Not sure what new line would be comparable.
onyxweb

Post by onyxweb »

Hey!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write - is a tip obligatory? Or, is it usable as a floating line - or is that NOT the idea, at all?

Thanks,

Bass
tigfly

Post by tigfly »

My WC Versitip has a mid extension that could be either float or intermediate and then the different 15’ tips from float to sink. I usually use the float mid and then whichever tip that is appropriate. I never do away with the mid and attach tips directly to the body because I prefer the length and weight with the mid included.
I have never tried it with the body and the mid without a tip of some kind. As a full floater I use all three floating sections together and a 5’ mono leader.
It is an old line and is starting to show a lot of wear so I am trying out some other lines and tips.
Also in my first post on a “barstool” Delta long, I have no idea how I typed in “barstool”, it was supposed to read barstool Delta Long! Took me a while to figure out what I was trying to say.
tigfly

Post by tigfly »

Damn it changed it to barstool again!! A I R F L O is what it is supposed to read

Return to “Tackle”