PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rod damping

Moderator: Torsten

Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Re: Rod damping

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Collusion !! With Mac ? Who would contemplate such a thing ? 😁😁 Not on this, I don’t think we’ve ever discussed fencing.

That quote is from an exhibit in Leeds Royal Armouries. Often attributed to Hogan, but not his…goes way back.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Maybe if the instruction given to beginners was to 'hold' the rod grip ( or the rod handle), rather than 'Grip' the Rod Grip there would be less cause of confusion to hang of for grim death and strangle the life out of the poor stick....... and then all the consequential faults that stem from this faulty connection.

I blame the the instructors, every bloody one of them for the confusion! " these are the ways we grip a fly rod"

Sadly changing the description will never happen but like with the power snap, thats the source of my confusion on this poorly chosen adjectives .
I was taught to 'grip' the rod and 'Grip it' I did! :pirate: and as long as people are told to "grip it" future generations of fluff chuckers will continue to get it wrong and struggle.
rant over
WP
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I like that rant Pom.

It's actually a pretty good example of how the language instructors (and others) use providing unintended lessons to their students. My Big Rant is about "loading the rod", and I always disavow my students of the term when they first use it. I make a strong point of picking them up on it if they subsequently use the term in the lesson. (My aim is most often to teach them to cast without the high power that "loading" implies.

/RANT

Cheers.
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hats with ears. Ears should be under the hat, not on the hat. Otherwise you look like a giant rabbit.

Apart from that I’m fine with everything else.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:12 am Hats with ears. Ears should be under the hat, not on the hat. Otherwise you look like a giant rabbit.
Lessons in the 60s. Free love and psychedelic drugs with hippy music
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

VGB wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:11 am
Paul Arden wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:12 am Hats with ears. Ears should be under the hat, not on the hat. Otherwise you look like a giant rabbit.
Lessons in the 60s. Free love and psychedelic drugs with hippy music
Mine are still just like that :cool:
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”