PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Slack line casts

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Malik
Answers: 0

Re: Slack line casts

Post by Malik »

Good points Paul
Paul Arden wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:25 am Having seen your saltwater use for the Svirgolato has really opened my eyes to its use. That is really outstanding and I hadn’t thought this possible.
I'm glad to know that this video can help. Thanks, it's encouraging to try and produce more of them!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Pozò is a nice chap! I’ve haven’t run into him in years. He was the first to show me the TLT.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Malik

Post by Malik »

Ciao Ivan!
Thanks for sharing this information. I’m not really surprised 😄.
Best regards
Malik
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Hi Paul, how small the world is, Pozò and I fished and cast together for years, he always with his rod, I tested those from line 4 upwards, he is one of the best dry fly fishermen I have met and a great friend, Malik executes that throw masterfully.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Something that has caught my eye in Sekhars' video is that the rod tip is very nearly on the floor before loop formation, I cannot make out if the same is happening in Malik's demo. If this is common to both then I have been doing it wrong by trying to do it as far as possible with the fly line in the air.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Malik

Post by Malik »

VGB wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:38 am Something that has caught my eye in Sekhars' video is that the rod tip is very nearly on the floor before loop formation, I cannot make out if the same is happening in Malik's demo. If this is common to both then I have been doing it wrong by trying to do it as far as possible with the fly line in the air.
Hi Vince !
I sometimes lower slightly the tip of my rod, but not always as much, which obviously works well. I really think that the hard/critical part is the timing of the MPA. Another way to do it is to make a side cast then to suddenly point the rod in the direction of a target parallel to you in the middle of the casting stroke (Laurent K. succeeded in this way).
Greetings from Switzerland
Malik
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Everything happens after half the cast by moving forward (as if it were a side tailing loop) you start to learn it by letting the tip of the line run which will go to the left if you are right handed) practically the tip of the rod will continue to the right (just almost invisible to the eye) the height of the tip only affects making the fly go to the right if it is performed slowly (many are unable to do this because they raise the tip before the fly arrives instead it must be done first and when it arrives it lowers to loosen, otherwise the line straightens every time, especially if it is from number 4 upwards. (I apologize for the length).
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Thanks Malik…. I think I started to get it sorted this afternoon, following a couple more of your suggestions… I changed to a stiffer 4w rod and used a 5w MED on it…
A few things I obviously wasn’t getting right:
- I wasn’t getting the line to tail properly, having just read Paul’s post with some amusement… I think he’s been spying on me😂, although I was sending the line out to the right behind me, I was compensating on the forward stroke so not really getting a tail

- I was using a bit to much speed on the forward cast, rather than slow with the slightly hard stop

- and trickiest of all, for me, timing the twist… I think I was a bit tense when trying to get the twist, relaxing and easing off on the power definitely helped.

I was getting some really nice casts with 20’ line out, obviously still interspersed with dud casts, but I know what it feels like again, so can sort it from there….
Cheers
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Perhaps I didn’t start to get it 😂
I focussed on breaking it down into stages and over emphasising the stages of the cast… I think that was helpful, but ended up with a different cast at the twist stage..
I ended up being able to repeatedly cast an 18’ length of line and 9’ leader so there was about 6’ dead straight on the ground and then 12’ plus leader at a full 90degree kick to the right lying perfectly straight on the ground…. 😏
Looks very cool and was repeatable… just not sure when I need a cast that only goes 6’ forward and 21’ at right angles😂
Having revisited Jason B’s book this morning I am fairly confident that I emphasised the twist that much that I have mistakenly learnt the corkscrew cast😏

I shall now practice the corkscrew cast to master the svirgolato 😂😂😂
VGB

Post by VGB »

Another slack line presentation with debatable music :p

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Flycasting”