PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Guide sizes

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Guide sizes

Post by Graeme H »

I build all my rods with single-foot guides, Ti framed with SiC inserts. I love them and won't build with anything else if I have the choice.

Yes, the chances of getting a real clusterfuck are increased with these guides and a big fish, but I'm anal about line management because of that. So far, I haven't had it happen, and I've been using these guides for about 8 years now.

(I started using them because I had lots of "haul-lock" with wire guides. The unexpected benefit has been a marked increased in line life - they never seem to wear out.)
FFi CCI
George C
Answers: 0

Re: Guide sizes

Post by George C »

Graeme H wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:08 am I build all my rods with single-foot guides, Ti framed with SiC inserts. I love them and won't build with anything else if I have the choice.

Yes, the chances of getting a real clusterfuck are increased with these guides and a big fish, but I'm anal about line management because of that. So far, I haven't had it happen, and I've been using these guides for about 8 years now.

(I started using them because I had lots of "haul-lock" with wire guides. The unexpected benefit has been a marked increased in line life - they never seem to wear out.)
This is my experience as well. I use torzites for rods 6 wt and up. They are significantly lighter than SICs. My experience is that the upper sections of a 6 or 7 wt rod built with size 6 T-KTTGs and Arowana tip will weigh nearly the same as the same rod built with the larger inside diameter REC SFx size 5 guides and typical medium size wire tip. I’ve done it both ways. Using size 7 torzites adds about 1/2 a gram total over the RECs. Size 8 torzites are a different story as they use a stronger frame and there is a big weight jump from the 7s.

Yes, there are some downsides to the smaller guides but overall I am very happy with the way these rods perform when used in saltwater for bonefish and false albacore.
Obviously one can’t know until they try it for themselves.
That’s risky if buying an expensive rod but if you can build and rebuild your own stuff it is a much smaller risk and one I’m very glad I took,

Return to “Tackle”