PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Conservation Of Angular Momentum (COAM)

Moderator: Torsten

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Conservation Of Angular Momentum (COAM)

Post by Graeme H »

Hi all,

Maybe this was discussed on the old board, but I'd like to re-examine the concept here please.

Most of the time when we discuss the physics of the loop, someone will raise the application of conservation of angular momentum (COAM) within the loop as an important aspect of the loop. In a recent thread, COAM was raised several times, with the implication that it is the conclusive evidence of physics within the loop and we don't need to go any further. Job done, physics settled.

In that thread, I was asked if I agree with applying COAM to a loop, and I replied with a firm "NO!", not elaborating because it was yet another distraction from the matter at hand. In the thread on Propagation of the loop 2 (another on physics) I asked the question about COAM to start a discussion but the thread quickly deviated before anyone answered it.

Can we please try to stay close to the topic of COAM in this discussion? I'd like a chance to get answers from those who adhere to this concept and I'd like to examine experimental data that we can now very easily capture and analyse within Tracker (rather than resorting to models.) This is a chance for you to educate me about why you think COAM is gospel. (In return, I'll try to avoid waves - unless absolutely necessary ... :) )

My understanding of the support for the application of COAM is that when the loop nose is chosen as the frame of reference, the velocity of line entering the loop equals the velocity of the line exiting the loop (opposite sign) and that within the loop itself, angular momentum is conserved as the line particles rapidly gain angular velocity around a centre of rotation thought to be somewhere within the centre of the loop.

That looks like this in Tracker when a line particle is digitised passing through the loop nose if the moving frame of reference is the loop. (Top graph is displacement, middle graph is velocity and the bottom graph is angular velocity.)

Moving frame of reference centred on the loop (cast towards left of frame in video)
Moving frame of reference centred on the loop (cast towards left of frame in video)

The presence of a high magnitude for angular velocity in the bottom graph is the support for the presence of COAM (as far as I understand the theory.)

Here's another project with a similar profile of velocities, but in another direction. (We can discuss this one later if required. Wither fewer data points, the data is a bit easier to use and replicate if someone wants to do that.)

Loop_Frame_IMG_3.jpg

Both screenshots seem to indicate that as the line goes around the loop, linear momentum is converted into angular momentum within the loop, where it is conserved and then converted back into linear momentum in the opposite direction.

I believe this is the summary of the concept of COAM. (If that's wrong, please elaborate.)

So why should I find that inconceivable? Because the same measurements using an earth frame of reference show that the particles of fly line have a velocity of zero in the rod leg. Zero velocity = zero momentum. Far from being conserved, the linear momentum of the fly leg is destroyed at the loop nose. At which position within the loop did the linear momentum of the fly leg convert from a positive value to zero?

Earth frame of reference (cast towards left of frame in video)
Earth frame of reference (cast towards left of frame in video)

If fly leg momentum is conserved as angular momentum within the loop, why wasn't it converted back into linear momentum as it left the loop?

To paraphrase a US politician, the loop is the place where fly leg momentum goes to die.

Further, the loop is not a point mass, which is the first requirement discussed in the video on Angular momentum posted by Torsten in this thread. The presenter says "... for the sake of this, we're going to assume it's a point mass ...". Without a point mass, it's impossible to use the loop as frame of reference. Momentum requires mass in addition to angular velocity. Yes, the line itself has mass, but it is constantly passing through the loop nose, each point mass of line leaving it as another enters the loop. It has no mass of its own, so there is nothing to track as a point mass for the purposes of analysis.

When we examine the Tracker video closely we can see that when line enters the loop, it has a slight downwards displacement shown as a slope rather than as circular motion. When the particle hits the loop nose, all forward velocity is lost (and thus momentum = zero).

I realise people are going to say "but the marker moves around the loop in a curved path! "Be very careful about hanging your hat on that. In the world that contains the fly line, the rod and the fish we cast at, the marker is just travelling to the left and down when it reaches the top of the loop. From that point in time, it's not travelling to the left any more.

Please explain COAM in the loop to me. I'm interested in your thoughts.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Merlin

Re: Conservation Of Angular Momentum (COAM)

Post by Merlin »

Hi Graeme

A quick comment before analyzing your post in details: COAM does not exist since there are external forces acting on the loop, like air drag and gravity.
When considering AM, you need to define the system you analyze. Here it is the loop itself (without legs). It is just like applying "F=ma" to an object under rotation (the loop). The difficulty is that this system has a variable mass potentially (taper influence for example), and that changes the basic Nlaw equation.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Thanks Daniel. I’m fine with all of that.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Graeme

It is important to stick to the system one analyses (only the loop here) and not jump for another one during the reasoning; which is what you do with comments about the trajectory of a marker on the line for example. Incidentally I cannot see the use of particles as mandatory; it is not useful per se for studying AM and does not make calculations impossible at all.

The frame of reference is the one of the loop, it is as if the loop (half circle) was only rotating around its center (seen as the center of the full circle). One can calculate the MOI of the loop and write that the variation of AM (moi* angular rotation speed) = sum of external torques due to drag forces, gravity forces, and tensions at the top and bottom of the loop. This assumes the classic situation of simple academic studies: parallel and horizontal legs. I know this is not reality, but it is better than nothing and has already proven to be useful for simulating pullback for example.

The fact that one uses the equation for a variable mass includes automatically what comes from the fly leg and what leaves for the rod leg. I prefer to use a general case so I consider a rod leg speed for writing equations. I think that Gordy tried to estimate loop AM with Matlab in the past, but there is little chance to get all torques from a record.

Analyzing horizontal momentum deals with the travel of the loop, by opposition to its rotation. This is necessary to make since it involves the sum of tensions (top and bottom) whilst AM deals with the difference in between those tensions. Once you have both you can calculate a value for each tension.

The drawback with AM differential equation (for all, differential means that one considers the variation of parameters in time) is the role of morphing and assuming that the loop does not morph significantly is the simplest way to move the analysis forward. There is a mean to escape from that trap thanks to a thesis made 24 years ago, from which one can derive a relationship between the variation of the radius of the loop in time with the tension at its bottom, after considering the analysis of vertical momentum. That allows elaborating a numerical solution to the problem, but this is another story on which we can come back later on. It is my next task to develop a file and have a go with this approach. The authors of the study found that for a level line, the loop size reduces as the line rolls over.

I stop here so that one can take time to digest all that stuff :upside:

Merlin
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I’m happy to provide the csv file for x and y positions and all the other values that are exported from Tracker if you want them.

This is a DT line so it’s level for the values you’re seeing here.

I can also digitise in a cast that has the loop travelling closer to horizontally if that helps. This was just the cast I posted the other day. Plenty of other examples to choose from on that session.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Graeme

The question for me is to know what is the purpose of analyzing data from Tracker. Is it about morphing or something else?

Merlin
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Morphing does not matter to me. It’s about wanting to work out why people think COAM exists in a cast at all. Several people say it’s important and I want to learn what they see that I don’t.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Graeme

We can use Gordy’s video with a sinking tip Teeny line as an example for calculations. Gordy used two conditions allowing to calculate AM:
• At the beginning of the rollover, the loop is made of floating line (rholine = 0.00095 kg/m; Vfly = 12.3 m/s, loop dia = 0.625m).
• At the end of the rollover, the loop is made of sinking line (rholine = 0.0031kg/m; Vfly = 12.5 m/s; loop dia = 0.354m).

One can calculate AM (MOI*angular rotation speed squared) in both cases assuming half circular loops which is nearly the case. More accurate calculations could be made with more detailed data about loops characteristics in both cases.
AM (beginning) =0.035 Nm
AM (end) = 0.067 Nm

Consequently there is no COAM here, it increases because there is external torques applied to the loop (drag, mass with gravity, tensions), this is a loop mass effect. The calculation of the history of AM during the rollover is not possible because one does not know precisely the composition of the loop as the sinking tip rolls over. The difference would be marginal without a change in line density, I think, and in that case one may be tempted to say that COAM is “nearly achieved”.

Making nearly circular loops is not difficult IMHO, I learned to do that with a fisherman casting nearly perfect circular loops with parallel legs (at the beginning of the rollover at least), an artist. I use a slight extra rotation of shoulder and less rotation from wrist.

I think you can pick up stills from some of your videos and make some calculations to see what happens.

Merlin
VGB

Post by VGB »

Merlin wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:25 am Making nearly circular loops is not difficult IMHO, I learned to do that with a fisherman casting nearly perfect circular loops with parallel legs (at the beginning of the rollover at least), an artist. I use a slight extra rotation of shoulder and less rotation from wrist.
I would like to see a video of those loops :)

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Merlin wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:25 am Making nearly circular loops is not difficult IMHO, I learned to do that with a fisherman casting nearly perfect circular loops with parallel legs (at the beginning of the rollover at least), an artist. I use a slight extra rotation of shoulder and less rotation from wrist.

I think you can pick up stills from some of your videos and make some calculations to see what happens.

Merlin
Hi Daniel,

You're correct: making circular loops is quite easy.

However, regardless of the shape of the loop nose, the paths of the line markers are never circular, or even close to it. At best, they might describe one quarter of an ovoid. The only part of the line that is moving is the fly leg, and once the markers hit the front of the loop, their forward motion is halted. Their downward motion is minimal.

Still images of line are not useful for any type of physics work, unfortunately.

(I'm sure I've got some nice big loops with marked lines somewhere. If not, I can shoot more tomorrow morning.)

But the underlying conclusion you've drawn is still what I understand too: there is no COAM here.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting Physics”