PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Weighted flies training time

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Weighted flies training time

Post by VGB »

James9118 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:02 pm I'm always slightly surprised at how much difference the terminal tackle I'm using here in the Bahamas makes to my cast, i.e. a substantial 'budgie' of a fly with 20 inches of thick wire (with split rings etc).
Due to the 3 months of constant rain, I'm back pike fishing on the canals after a break from the heavy gear of a few years because the rivers are blown out. Two problems have arisen that I needed to sort out in the field. Firstly, my default tight loop casting for small streams causes the fly to kick like a b'stard, oval casting sorted that one out. The more surprising one was that I'd stopped hauling because I was "feeling" the line momentum and backing off the line speed. Fishing became a lot more relaxed with less aches and pains after I changed my stroke to accommodate a long haul, especially on delivery as the back cast can be quite limited.
canal.jpg
The joys of changing task and environmental constraints have been noted....again :blush:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Paul,
teaching wise I get to see a lot of different fly lines in my lessons. The taper is what it is. I vary leader setup and fluff size in order match taper. Otherwise kicking will take place often. I've used the option of adding split shot into the middle of the fluff as well, but stopped doing this.
In some cases I change tackle set up and give some of mine as well.
Some students bring flies without the hook bend + point. I cut them off. Otherwise I risk to see broken rods or one student overlooking another one.
Weighted flies can be freaking dangerous.
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Weighted hook wrapped with lead wire then wrapped in foam for rod protection. Of course, cut the point of the hook off before practicing with it.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Graeme H wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:26 am Weighted hook wrapped with lead wire then wrapped in foam for rod protection. Of course, cut the point of the hook off before practicing with it.

Cheers,
Graeme
That’s a great idea Graeme! Thanks!!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

No worries.
FFi CCI
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

VGB wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:13 pm It’s something that has bothered me for a while. I teach beginners with fluff, then take them to the river and put a nymph on to give them the best possible chance but the change of constraints throws them.
Hi Vince,
I prefer to support easy conditions for concentrating on what matters most per step of the latter, when teaching on grass.

Of course fishing often will mean:
- a heavy wind without any coverage
- wind from the not-easy direction
- heavy big fly needed
- staying hip deep or even deeper in the water
- having a current push against the body
- fish jumping around
- difficult structures all around
- a current making it impossible to pause between the first lay and sweeping into the next step in order to think what to next focus on
and many more....

Nothing of what I want to make learning the basement of proper casting any more difficult and slow down.

No doubt, entering water for a first time will ask to know what keys to adjust when things do not perfectly work straight away. Key of the lesson to me.

In my book we could run such a thread on each difference green vs. water. Myself I have not muchvuse for this though.

Hi Paul,
Do you teach "dancing" to your MED5 distance students?
Regards
Bernd
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Dancing as in Swedish Steps? No I don’t but I’m sure I will in the future.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Do you teach "dancing" ….
I do….Kinda 🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Bernd
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:45 am I prefer to support easy conditions for concentrating on what matters most per step of the latter, when teaching on grass.

Of course fishing often will mean:
- a heavy wind without any coverage
- wind from the not-easy direction
- heavy big fly needed
- staying hip deep or even deeper in the water
- having a current push against the body
- fish jumping around
- difficult structures all around
- a current making it impossible to pause between the first lay and sweeping into the next step in order to think what to next focus on
and many more....

Nothing of what I want to make learning the basement of proper casting any more difficult and slow down.

No doubt, entering water for a first time will ask to know what keys to adjust when things do not perfectly work straight away. Key of the lesson to me.
It’s not unusual to take someone out fishing as well as teaching here, so you have to be able to cover both water and grass, whilst giving them the best opportunity to catch a fish. I can control all of the environmental and task constraints that you mention above. However, casting a nymph on water, having learnt with fluff is usually a crumpling point. I can get them water hauling with the nymph but it kind of devalues the grass teaching though.
In my book we could run such a thread on each difference green vs. water. Myself I have not muchvuse for this though.
We have to be able to cover both here, I don’t want my students walking off the Stillwater fishing platforms :D

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:41 am Dancing as in Swedish Steps? No I don’t but I’m sure I will in the future.
Yes, I was asking, because this is teaching a movement pattern I yet never saw anyone doing in fishing. So I was wondering why you'd need to adjust the fluff to be a real fly when yet even planning to teach stuff for just casting, not fishing.
You could tell me to adjust to what your students need. I prefer to believe a proper basement can always easily be adapted into different fishing situations. No need to match fully. We cant (and dont need to) teach every particular situation in giving a basement for best adaption, I think. Even I still have to adjust...
Cheers
B

Return to “Teaching”