PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

FFI teaching outreach.

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: FFI teaching outreach.

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve never understood why the CICP is under the FFI umbrella. I guess that goes back to its inception. We had a similar thing with the STA and STANIC in the UK many years ago. While conservation is critical to, well everything really, a CICP is instructor driven (professional or otherwise). That the CICP is then being used to promote other issues, potentially diluting it, is an interesting dilemma. Just my thoughts.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter
Answers: 0

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:30 pm Who runs the FFI CICP nowadays? Didn’t I hear somewhere that they had got rid of the CBOG, or did I dream that?

Cheers, Paul
One of the early emails I received said that the cbog was being replaced with a “modern committee structure”. I don’t actually know what a modern committee structure is but there does seem to be some changes. Committees will have a chair and a co-chair. When a chair has completed their term the co-chair will step in. The idea is to ensure continuity in the leadership of each committee. In the past cbog members had to be MCI or thci instructors. Now committee roles will be determined by skill set rather than just certification and people can actively apply to be on a committee rather than waiting to be invited.

I’m not sure if there will be a committee to create committees (kind of like a cbog). There is a list of currently identified committees and a majority of the roles in those committees are already filled by previous cbog and committee members.

In addition to creating a branch to support people who want to instruct but don’t want to be certified they are also forming a group/committee to do industry outreach to find out how the CICP (or whatever it’s going to be called in the future) can collaborate with industry.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:20 pm I’ve never understood why the CICP is under the FFI umbrella. I guess that goes back to its inception. We had a similar thing with the STA and STANIC in the UK many years ago. While conservation is critical to, well everything really, a CICP is instructor driven (professional or otherwise). That the CICP is then being used to promote other issues, potentially diluting it, is an interesting dilemma. Just my thoughts.

Cheers, Paul
I think it goes back to the origin of the FFI (FFF actually). My understanding was that it was industry driven in the beginning. The major manufacturers worked together with the leading instructors at the time (Mel, Lefty, Joan and Gary) to create an organization whose purpose was to reach out to the public to create more awareness and interest in fly fishing (resulting in more business of course). Of course, being instructors, any organization they helped found was going to include an instructor certification program.

It’s interesting that the new committee structure will have a group that is tasked with reaching out to industry.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Wasn't the FFF (not FFI) founded in the fifties? The CICP program came about in early 90's spearheaded by Mel
et al. who wanted better instructors.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Carol wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:18 pm Isn’t/wasn’t CBOG all volunteers, overworked and frustrated ones?

As eluded to earlier, the paradigm of clubs doesn’t seem to appeal to today’s younger generations. TU faces the same decline in membership.

Volunteer yes, frustrated, yes, still am, overworked, yes :D

Same everywhere I guess. My 10 years on the CBOG was a rollercoaster at times. But I met alot of good people around the world, and learned alot.

The decline has been a slow avalanche for decades. When I first joined a fishing club in the early 90's it was the talk on the board that how do we get the young people to houn, all they do is sit indoors and watch tv and play videogames... today its mobiles and computer gaming that is being blamed... and its still a stupid argument. What should have been done was securing ressources making fishing better, instead it was a race to make a buck and kill it. Damn I sound like an old fart :D

Cheers
Lasse

Carol

Post by Carol »

Most of us are. Some older and fart-ier than others. 💨💨
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Pooot :sick:
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:00 pm Wasn't the FFF (not FFI) founded in the fifties? The CICP program came about in early 90's spearheaded by Mel
et al. who wanted better instructors.

Cheers
Lasse
More history I wasn’t aware of, thanks for that.

Carol

Post by Carol »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:57 pm Pooot :sick:
🤣🤣
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.

Return to “Teaching”