PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Beginner's Study Guide for Classes

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

RSalar
Answers: 0

Beginner's Study Guide for Classes

Post by RSalar »

Good Morning,

We are in the process of putting together a series of indoor classes to teach fly fishing to beginners. The students are currently learning how to tie flies at our local fly tying group. The plan is to have a series of classes this winter (in New England) and then when the weather warms up get these people outside to start casting. I am looking for some kind of workbook or class syllabus to use for the classes. Does anyone know of such a study guide? I am thinking we will probably have to write our own, but before starting that task, I wanted to see if anything like it already exists.

Thanks in advance for any info that you can provide,

Ron
FFI - CCI
alanj

Re: Beginner's Study Guide for Classes

Post by alanj »

Are the FFI resources not suitable? e.g. https://www.flyfishersinternational.org ... evelopment
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:
VGB

Post by VGB »

Ron

I noted that you put fishing in bold. I think that you need to be a bit more specific about type of water, quarry and techniques but I agree that it’s likely that you will have to derive you own.

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Casting-wise…

Everything up to and including the double haul:
https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/introduction/

As well as this:

And a video I’ll put up this week on varying rod planes, varying loop sizes and varying speed.

Fishing varies. But where you are I would go;
Currents and fish habitats
Fly selection/entomology
Methods of fishing
Playing and landing and releasing fish. (Very important).

On stillwater courses in the UK when I first started teaching I would hand out this booklet:
https://www.sexyloops.com/stillwater/

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Good reason to look at the BC in there Paul 🙂

Do you still stand by the “good form” advice in the first set ?
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

No I don’t. I put lots of variable loop control exercises into the first 2 or 3 lessons (beginners) before starting to develop form (position and pattern) in parallel.

Even when I jump to something like accuracy nowadays I teach all planes and different deliveries.

I have a few beginners at the moment which I’m enjoying. Well, one is still a beginner, but not for very much longer I think.

I find it interesting that some of my students postpone because of rain. Whereas others have no problems with inclement weather :laugh: I have a student in Auckland with whom I’m not sure I’ve even seen the sun! I’m about to don a raincoat and teach a chap in Luisianna. At least I’ll get to see the sun remotely today!

For me it’s become all about advancing students forwards. Planning their next 8-10 hours training. I’m about to embark on some online IM coaching for myself. As much for IM as to learn how they coach and operate. Money well spent I think. Although it’s double what I charge!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Carol

Post by Carol »

Different, but related, topic: How do you make lesson plans for students. I’m sure there’s a thread or two on that subject, so if you could point out the better bits, I’d appreciate it. Thanks!
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

This is a great question Carol. Nowadays I see a lesson as developing a personalised training plan for the next two weeks. I have no idea how others do it. I think however that many lessons are one-offs either for complete beginners or for a specific skill, eg the double haul. Those have been my two most common lessons for single lessons. And then it’s pretty much the same stuff.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Carol

Post by Carol »

That’s how I’m approaching the CI candidate I’ve been working with. I write down what to work on, how, drill(s), and hand the paper to him. When we next meet, we first go over that. I’m also trying to get him to write scripts and verify on SL if his thoughts on a subject are correct. To me, it’s critical to developing an understanding. But he has it in his mind that he’s a bad presenter, and is a busy dad, so this has been a stubborn sticking point.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul,

It seems a lot of us have gravitated towards the idea that it’s all about loop control. I do a similar exercise with beginners after they have learned how to form a loop and can do a complete casting cycle (forward and backward false cast without letting the line fall to the grass). I also have them practice making different size loops. I haven’t tried the casting between the legs exercise yet. :p

Fwiw I find what I call the graduated length method is extremely effective with younger students. I think that it’s because at that time in their life they are used to being told to take a step back if they’ve exceeded their current abilities. If they add line and lose control then you can get them to subtract that extra line and continue practicing until they are ready to try adding line again. Adults have more of an ego thing where they don’t like to take that step back.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.

Return to “Teaching”