PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Gaze Behaviours in Fly Casting Accuracy

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Gaze Behaviours in Fly Casting Accuracy

Post by Paul Arden »

I think apart from absolute novices, most students have goals that are unobtainable in the short term because they overrate their own skill level and I include myself in that classification. In practice, some might look at the loop but not know what it is they are looking for, others will not specifically look at anything without a target, others will try and track the fly leg but can't keep up because of the additional cognitive load (that was me as well).
This is right back on topic. Let’s say we are studying the gaze behaviours of two different casters. One is a very highly skilled accuracy caster and the other is still at the stage of concentrating on controlling his loops. This second caster, one would expect, would require their attention focused on cues to form tight loops. The more advanced caster doesn’t need these cues and instead can spend his time focussed say just on the target.

The result of that test would on the surface tell us that more time spent looking at the target (caster 1) results in a higher degree of accuracy because this is how the elite caster performs. However if caster 2 was to follow this advice, then in all probability their performance would suffer because it interferes with their ability to cast consistent loops.

Not to say it’s not a valid test but it also needs unpacking and following up.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Totally on the money Paul.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:19 am However if caster 2 was to follow this advice, then in all probability their performance would suffer because it interferes with their ability to cast consistent loops.

Not to say it’s not a valid test but it also needs unpacking and following up.

Cheers, Paul
I like this idea Paul.

Realizing the validity of this test as you said, it is plausible that caster 2 scores better as they now get to experience the joys of The Accuracy Gaze. As well, it gives caster 2 a new task that may help override their loop skills < sometimes a change of focus allows our software to run unencumbered by our conscious fumbling.
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

There’s definitely a point where you can compound or replace objectives Craig but if you do this too soon then the caster just gets in a muddle and everything slows down from a learning point of view.

When we’ve got FC/BC loop control pretty much automatic then I think we can add targets. Personally, I don’t teach competition accuracy for a whole raft of reasons explained elsewhere, I do use hoops as targets though.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Yes, no doubt Mark. If I am honest here, my instruction at times proves that; when it does I certainly pull the plug on that aspect. At times though it does help to test a bit to see what the student can handle.
VGB

Post by VGB »

All good points and is really where the gaze behaviours paper is poorly worded in my opinion:
Fly casters should be encouraged to focus their attention on the target location
instead of focusing on their arm movements, or trying to follow track the line on
the backcast which is often instructed of beginner casters
If you cannot control the line, fixating on an accuracy target is a waste of time. However, changing objectives can destabilise an existing incorrect skill or prevent a boring training session of repetition by contextual interference. This piece written by some bloke called Will Shaw is remarkably good :D

https://sportscienceinsider.com/context ... ce-effect/

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

At times though it does help to test a bit to see what the student can handle.
Yep, because you generally want them working at the edge of their capabilities. In and out of the comfort zone. There’s a paper on that too but I think everyone’s done with papers for a while.😁
Casting Definitions

easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

VGB wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:25 pm All good points and is really where the gaze behaviours paper is poorly worded in my opinion:
Fly casters should be encouraged to focus their attention on the target location
instead of focusing on their arm movements, or trying to follow track the line on
the backcast which is often instructed of beginner casters
If you cannot control the line, fixating on an accuracy target is a waste of time. However, changing objectives can destabilise an existing incorrect skill or prevent a boring training session of repetition by contextual interference. This piece written by some bloke called Will Shaw is remarkably good :D

https://sportscienceinsider.com/context ... ce-effect/

Regards

Vince
One of the drills I have students do as they are getting loops somewhat under their control is Casting Containers:
- 4 pc.rod
- take off tip section
- coupla' targets: hoops, hats, semi-full buckets of money...
- various sized pill bottles and maybe a few cheap cigar tubes
- place a container over tip
- assume forward cast start position

Have them throw the small containers to the target. Narrow containers are easiest but as the container openings get wider diameter a/o the container is short, the harder the task becomes. It shares aspects with the Wet Paint Brush drill. Did I do a FP on this drill years ago... ?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

As well, it gives caster 2 a new task that may help override their loop skills < sometimes a change of focus allows our software to run unencumbered by our conscious fumbling.
Hi Craig,

Certainly I agree it can work this way. I’m sure it does with us — and introduced at the right time it will with the student. Eventually anyway.

If also goes back to cueing. If the elite caster misses a target and then starts thinking about how he/she is moving their body, then they are most likely to start missing more. And this is actually very important, because if we set our student up to default to internal cues when things go awry, then we are also setting them up to choke under pressure.

I do like teaching target casting BUT I only introduce “the game” to higher level casters. What I particularly like about it is that improvements are measurable. I have a pretty good idea where someone is by their score. But most of all it’s fun, absorbing and more fun. And there are lots of variations of course.

Nice article there Vince!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Have you tried that drill backwards over the shoulder, Craig? I know Bill teaches casters to throw car keys over their shoulders. Maybe car keys is not such a good idea!

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”