PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Loop Dynamics

Moderator: Torsten

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Loop Dynamics

Post by VGB »

If we are going to break the Christmas armistice, I would add that if contributors want to discuss subjects based on papers and evidence that they are not prepared to share, they should keep the whole topic off line and stop wasting bandwidth.

I feel strangely better for that, carry on.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

gordonjudd wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:40 pm
For those small number that do, it's only relevant if lift in the loop is something you are particularly interested in achieving and, on the evidence so far, you're not likely to know whether there was any at all because the effect, if it exists at all, is ludicrously small.
Mark,
That being the case why do you think a loop with an inclined section of line going to the rod leg of the loop stays in the air as it rolls out much longer than you would expect for the "hang time" you would expect because of the loop height drop due to the effects of gravity?

Gordy
Hi Gordy

I think it's worth establishing whether I think about that kind of thing at all, which funnily enough, very occasionally, I do. This is because I still have evidence of a very cheerful and beery argument with Bruce on the subject in a German Monastery Brauhaus whch I suspect neither of us was properly equipped to have. On review, it seems to be mainly drawings of phalluses, i don't remember it getting that weird. :)

Sadly perhaps, in the real world, I have neither an expectation of hang times nor any inclination to test whether my actual and expected hang times significantly differ from one cast to the next due to lift at the loop face. If I had a model of a real cast that predicted such an effect I'd like to test it.

luckily for me I don't have a model so I'm off the hook :)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

fly casting pixies are more plausible :glare: :glare: :glare:
"Plausible" ?? what ??

Tinkerbell just died... :(
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:25 pm This is because I still have evidence of a very cheerful and beery argument with Bruce on the subject in a German Monastery Brauhaus whch I suspect neither of us was properly equipped to have. On review, it seems to be mainly drawings of phalluses, i don't remember it getting that weird. :)
Is that a paper that you are prepared to share, or do we need to go offline?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

sent...don't know how to post it on here.
Casting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

James9118 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:50 pm
gordonjudd wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:40 pm
For those small number that do, it's only relevant if lift in the loop is something you are particularly interested in achieving and, on the evidence so far, you're not likely to know whether there was any at all because the effect, if it exists at all, is ludicrously small.
Mark,
That being the case why do you think a loop with an inclined section of line going to the rod leg of the loop stays in the air as it rolls out much longer than you would expect for the "hang time" you would expect because of the loop height drop due to the effects of gravity?

Gordy
For the last time - it fucking well doesn't, we all chuck the line upwards. This is why my side casts don't veer - because there is no lift. The lift paper and others are codswallop - fly casting pixies are more plausible :glare: :glare: :glare:

Your continued insistence that this massively flawed research is gospel is embarrassing.
I used to park my truck on the side of a cliff overlooking the Waiau River in Fiordland, New Zealand. And in the evening I would stand on the roof and play with my maximum carry. There was music involved and red wine.

The point is I used to throw the forward cast downwards. Now it may have been my perspective but there was a big difference between the loop unrolling downwards, and loop straight and free fall.

I’ll find a cliff to reenact this entertainment and try to film it this time.

The same thing happens with a crosswind (I believe) so I don’t think it’s loop lift.

Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:38 pm sent...don't know how to post it on here.
I’m not sure if the this evidence warrants a new thread?
667.jpeg

VGB

Post by VGB »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:25 pm Sadly perhaps, in the real world, I have neither an expectation of hang times nor any inclination to test whether my actual and expected hang times significantly differ from one cast to the next due to lift at the loop face. If I had a model of a real cast that predicted such an effect I'd like to test it.

luckily for me I don't have a model so I'm off the hook :)
Will this help?

Walter

Post by Walter »

VGB wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:52 pm
I’m not sure if this evidence warrants a new thread?
Still looks like loop stuff to me. :)
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:48 pm
I used to park my truck on the side of a cliff overlooking the Waiau River in Fiordland, New Zealand. And in the evening I would stand on the roof and play with my maximum carry. There was music involved and red wine.

The point is I used to throw the forward cast downwards. Now it may have been my perspective but there was a big difference between the loop unrolling downwards, and loop straight and free fall.

I’ll find a cliff to reenact this entertainment and try to film it this time.

The same thing happens with a crosswind (I believe) so I don’t think it’s loop lift.

Paul
At a cliff face I've visited a number of times in New Mexico (Sandia Peak) you could stick your arm out over the edge and feel the rush of air directly upwards (depending on the direction the wind was coming from). It was also the case that as the air cooled as it was travelling upwards the moisture in it would condense into a mist, thus you could stick your hand into an upward shower of mist. Paragliders would often launch from the same place.

James

Return to “Flycasting Physics”