PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Furled leader

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Vinny
Answers: 0

Re: Furled leader

Post by Vinny »

VGB
When the time comes I will.
Thank you
Vinny
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

IMG_9651.jpeg
Based on the video of Katy scott ( post 7) i make my own, i have two frames, one for my two weight thats a 3.5 ft tapered leader and for my 4wt a 5 ft

Its frustrating at first , but once you've got it its great especially if you tie flies and make rods its an extra bit of personal control you have with the turn over and presentation

there's a few bear traps to learn, but it doesn't take too long. The first is pulling the drill back slightly as you lift off,,, there's no return to start if you lose tension there, Bin ways is best ways and the only ways Im afraid.Start again.!
Run your hands over the threads before you start spinning to even out the tension or you get saggy ends
And sure your pegs are REALLY smooth. I made my pegs from oak and mahogany , and then grabbed them in my drill bit and and ran through the grits down to 1200 ....they feel like silk

based on her frame pattern my 4 wt could do with an extra peg to get more taper.
if you need any help just ask
all best
pom
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Thank you Pom!!
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

So my wife was listening to me talk to Pauly and a friend of mine about Furled leaders. Jude, my wife watched Graeme’s video and another regarding the building of the peg board with me. Jude knowing how I do thing's took it upon herself to without my knowledge order several Furled leaders on line. Just received them in the mail. Jude is definitely a great one!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

:D

Is that to stop another obsession from taking over the living room?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Yes🙄
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Vinny wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:27 pm The top video is interesting, but it’s hard to figure out what’s going on.
Maybe I’ll just try and buy a couple to try, if I like them I’ll learn how to make them.
Hi Vinny,

That video was mine: I'm happy to answer any questions you have to clarify the process.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

VGB wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:58 am Graeme is on walkabout, exploring the dreamtime. It's worth dropping him any questions you have, he's a good guy but don't tell him I said that :D

Regards

Vince
Don't believe anything Vince says ... :)
FFi CCI
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Graeme
Thank you for that! I was going to buy a couple to try before delving into learning something new but my wife beat me to it and ordered a few for me. I put one through the paces yesterday on my new HT 8. I’m impressed in a multitude of ways with both the leader and rod!!
I am interested in learning what you did. I’m going to watch the video several times to try and dissect what you’re doing.
PS. I won’t
😎
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

These days I use an old spinning reel (“egg beater”) as my twisting device. I also use a ball bearing swivel with a snap fitting to let the leader twist up.

I don’t use these much now because they tend to stick to the water surface when I’m making spey casts. Common knotted monofilaments are easier to make those casts with.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Tackle”