PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Ceramics on a 4wt?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Ceramics on a 4wt?

Post by Paul Arden »

On the 4 I thought they were tiny. It was Flavio’s build. I’ll ask him!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

George C wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:35 am
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:34 am Hi George

More guides equals more weight and that will make the rod more floppy, especially if they are more towards the tip than bottom.

Cheers
Lasse
Hi Lasse
More guides also equal better line flow and less blank contact. Both also matter. How much is debatable.

The weight issue can be mitigated by guide choice, both material and size. The tradeoff is guide height and internal diameter. A size 4 torzite is much smaller but also lighter than a size 2-4 wire guide typically used on many high end rods. Is it too small? I don’t know. And what constitutes too many or too few guides, and why? How does this change with guide type or line stiffness? Again I don’t know.

What I do know is that I find the fly rods I’ve built with small torzite guides are nicer to cast and fish than a the ones I’ve built or bought with wire guides. Whether this will hold true for a rod as light as a 4wt, however, is an open question.
Hi George

I don't buy the better lineflow and less contact argument, tried it, didn't experience it :)

I love the less friction from lined rings compared to snakes and single legs, not a fan of the added weight on anything below an 8, but thats personal territory. I know people who deliberatly add weight to the tip to get a certain feel.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Flavio writes:
I am not 100% sure about the torzite size, but I think it was size 5.5
I would not recommend using it on the HT4 though. I think they are to heavy and the action of the rod suffers. I much prefer the one with Recs
I actually thought the cerecoils were lighter for their diameter. I need to check now. HT9 won’t be a problem with Torzites anyway.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

Thanks Paul.
I’d agree that 5.5s are too heavy for a 4 wt. The size 4s are lighter but the tiny ID concerns me, hence why I’m hoping to hear from someone with experience fishing them.

Have you tried your HT 6 and 7 built with size 6 torzites?

George.
George C

Post by George C »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:43 am

I don't buy the better lineflow and less contact argument, tried it, didn't experience it :)
Hi Lasse
I think the line flow issue may become more important as guide internal diameter diminishes. The need to use smaller I.D. ceramic guides in order to avoid a weight penalty may then also necessitate the need for extra guides to address the lower tolerance for sloppy line flow. A catch-22 of sorts.

I’m surprised you do not buy the blank contact/increased friction issue, however. I’d agree this is not a big deal on the delivery shoot but certainly it is a factor on the forward haul and I’ve been told in another thread that friction during a haul diminishes line speed.

To be clear, I have no illusion that I will gain significant distance through guide choice. I think I gain some things with ceramics but also lose some things as guide I.D. decreases. In the end any distance change for me is likely a wash. But I know I can build a rod with small torzites that is very very close in upper 1/2 weight to a wire guide rod yet much nicer to cast and fish. I know I can do this down to a 6wt…….. as for a 4 wt I’m skeptical but open minded.

Thanks for your thoughts
George
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hi George,

I'm running guides with an ID of 4.09 mm on my 4 wt and 5 wt Epic 'glass rods. I'm also running the same guides on my two HT6 rods.

I've never wanted for other guides on any of those rods.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi George,

We use size 7s on the HT7. I don’t know what sizes I’ve tried on the HT6. These were always home builds.

Friction along the blank is a huge problem with non ceramics and for that reason with these I always twist the top three sections of the rod out by 45 degrees.

I wonder if the HT5 fitted with small Torzites would be a great 4WT? It would be interesting to try.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”