PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Under estimating translational movement

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Under estimating translational movement

Post by Lou Bruno »

Greetings

Recently I got to reading a couple of SL topics; currently playing "catch up" with 'Dissecting the haul' post. I haven't finished reading all the comments but I had to go out and practice. I didn't try to manipulate all of the variables mentioned in the post...just 3 or 4.
What I think I discovered was how important our translational movement is within our casting stroke. My acceleration was smooth, less forceful although I deliberately was trying to be less forceful; One of the variables I focused on.

I also tried hauling later, as close to RSP1 as possible, hauling earlier; fly rod near vertical or perpendicular to ground. As mentioned in the post, I saw the results in my loop..the whole purpose.

But, I finished the whole exercise realizing how little concentration I placed in my translational move. A greater emphasis is placed on the stop than the rotational move that, for me I allowed myself to neglect the need to concentrate on the translational move.

There are variables contained in that movement that require thought; tempo, maintaining as near a straight line rod tip movement, tracking in all planes....but one thing a nice controlled translational move provides is a solid preparation move that brings other variables into control to generate a nice loop.

That's it...back to reading 'Dissecting the haul' and more practice.

Lou
VGB

Re: Under estimating translational movement

Post by VGB »

Lou

I think that you will enjoy this video from Norway. I would like to congratulate and thank everyone that was involved in producing this excellent piece of training material 👏👏

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
George C

Post by George C »

Hi Lou
Nice post.
I, too, have recently been benefitting from a focus on translation. So much so that I’m surprised it doesn’t receive more emphasis. It seems to be the foundation on which everything else is arranged.
George
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Thanks for posting that video Vince!
VGB

Post by VGB »

No worries, I just copied and pasted a link. The team that put the video together deserve the kudos.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

thank you for posting that video Vince. Very interesting.

Phil
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Vince

Finally got time to watch the video; I'll be watching this one again.
So many aspects of the cast are visually highlighted and described. So much emphasis on getting our legs involved too.
I can say so much but won't... excellent job by all.

Lou
George C

Post by George C »

Screen Shot 2023-12-28 at 3.47.26 PM.png
Great video but it raises the question of what we are talking about when we refer to translation. Are we talking about movement of the body, arm, and hand towards the target or just presence or absence of change in rod angle as it is moved.
In the screen shot above they describe the initial yellow line as translation and the blue line as rotation. That makes sense if the term refers only to change or lack thereof of rod angle, but it fails to take into account continued forward movement of the rotational center and its contribution to the cast. Isn't this also a translational movement? If not, what is it?

This forward movement towards the target of the rotational center before the rod is rotated, while the rod is rotating, and sometimes during the haul after rotation has stopped seems to have a huge effect on the outcome of the cast.
How should we tweak it to obtain maximum benefit?

George
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hello

When I am throwing my best, there feels like there is a pinch between the rod tip and the rod as the bend works out towards the tip. (Seems like I have been told the bend doesn't progress out the rod that way, but that's what it feels like). When I'm not throwing as well, it feels like my timing is off and the entire rod straightens at the same time. Does any of this sound familiar? In order to get the feel of the pinch, it seems like I need to have some translation or forward rod thrust at the end of fast acceleration phase of the cast. If you use the land or cloud in the background of pictures 2 and 3 below as reference, you can see the small amount of translation. If I apply power too soon, I am unable to create the pinch.

Note-John-body rotation seems to help me achieve better timing for this part of the cast.

Any of this sound familiar to anyone?
sl 1228a.jpg
sl 1228b.jpg
sl 1228c.jpg
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree with that George. Perhaps it’s the translation of translation? I don’t speak Norwegian and so don’t know. Drag is a better term since translation occurs right through stroke length.

A lot of what we often consider as translation however is Slide. The rod is sliding along the line towards the line hand. Mattias tries to eliminate some of this with his hauling hand repositioning. I have a different view on that but this is unimportant.

What also is muddied into the mix is power application. Are we applying translational force, torque, and at what point do we rapidly accelerate?

Finally both 2&3 are delayed rotation. But I think 3 is better than 2.
IMG_6237.jpeg
IMG_6237.jpeg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 491 times
I also enjoyed the video!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”