PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

failure to make a proper lift

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

failure to make a proper lift

Post by Lou Bruno »

I'm reading an older SL post on 'back,casting.' One of the faults mentioned was this, as it pertained to 'to large a casting arc.'
This is the first time I've come across this phrase, I'd be guessing as to the exact definition and application.
Thoughts?

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: failure to make a proper lift

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

So when someone doesn’t slowly lift the line, and instead accelerates with the rod, what we commonly see is a truly wide casting arc and the resulting wide loop. At least that’s one of the things that can happen. The other the line can unstick and come flying through at head level!

So I see the lift as having two purposes. One is to unstick the line cleanly and quietly from the water surface and the other is it positions the rod to where we want to begin the backcast.

From the Sexyloops fly casting definitions:
Lift: An upward Sweep.

The primary purpose of Lift is to begin to clear line from the water prior to a further line positioning movement or Casting Stroke.
Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

Lou Bruno wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:18 pm I'm reading an older SL post on 'back,casting.' One of the faults mentioned was this, as it pertained to 'to large a casting arc.'
This is the first time I've come across this phrase, I'd be guessing as to the exact definition and application.
Thoughts?

Lou
Hi Lou
Are you asking about “lift” itself, or are you asking why starting rod and line position can create “too large a casting arc”?
George
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

George

The lift itself. I never heard 'the pick up' refer to as the lift.
My understanding is there are two basic lifts; incline and horizontal.

Lou
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

When I cast close. My back cast "lift" is on a higher trajectory; steep angle. Whereas, the farther my forward cast my back cast lift becomes flat/horizontal. Isn't that the basis for the 180 degree rule? So, we have two basic lifts "inclined and horizontal."
Lou
tinpusher

Post by tinpusher »

The initial pickup off the water is two parts (the lift and the casting stroke). They are two parts but one continuous movement. The lift is slow and the casting stroke is the acceleration portion. The 180 degree rule applies to the casting stroke portion but as the line is still mostly on the water it is angled up toward the sky. If you were to skip the lift and go straight into the casting stroke that could increase size of casting arc. The way I was taught was lift to 10 o'clock, cast to 1 o'clock. If you were to start casting stroke at 8 o'clock (line on water and tip down) and cast to 1 o'clock you would surely create a larger loop.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It depends what we are trying to achieve here but I often use the line angle made between the end of the lift and the fly as a cue for the height of the backcast bell. With a short line that bell is going to be really quite high above and behind us. Those are the cues I prefer. Certainly I’m not a fan of 10 o’clock and see the lift as a variable.

Horizontal lift I also know as the “shotgun lift” and I think it partly depends on what we are trying to achieve, as well as how much line we are clearing.

Other lifts I know and use are the Snake, Wiggle, Snap and Fliick/Dynamic Lifts. For a long line pickup I use the last one. For slack I use the Snake. Snap and Wiggle have some interesting uses.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
tinpusher

Post by tinpusher »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:55 pm Other lifts I know and use are the Snake, Wiggle, Snap and Fliick/Dynamic Lifts. For a long line pickup I use the last one. For slack I use the Snake. Snap and Wiggle have some interesting uses.

Cheers, Paul
I'd like to see those on video.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/pick-ups/

Some strange looking egg-head :laugh:

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

You can also use the wiggle to skate flies incidentally [Sasha from Croatia trick].

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”