PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

ICSF WC Flycasting Sweden 2024

John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: ICSF WC Flycasting Sweden 2024

Post by John Waters »

Hi Paul,

I've only been to Cumbria and Norway in the fly events. I don't know if those WCs, or the earlier events, were profitable or not, whether casters' fees covered all event costs or if cost support was needed from any other source to break even. IMHO it would be advisable to have that detail available before future decisions are made about FCWCs. Sure, costs can be reduced. For example, make the next FCWC a grass event, but is that what the majority of fly casters want? In Australia, the cost of a water venue for casting, multiple court platforms, measuring etc. is much higher than a grass venue. I suspect that is the same everywhere. Everything scales up, even insurance. Sweden have organised a water WCs because that is what casters want, but it comes at a cost.

I can remember the same issues arose 50 years ago in the competition casting world, that's why water venues are no longer used for traditional fly and plug casting WCs. At that time casting had two separate bodies organising their own events, it was not a good time to be a caster. I also remember the impact of the Emerald World Masters and the WCs in Ireland in 2006, and I never want that to happen again to any organiser of a casting event.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi John,

My suggestion is very simple. Have a group within the umbrella organisation whose job it is to attract sponsorship/funding and prizes, as well as marketing. Now I know this is not a new idea because it was discussed 14 years ago. No one is going to give us money or prizes unless we ask. And if we want to grow, keep this thing affordable and preferably take it to the next level, then we have to actively make this happen.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Apparently there are two flycasters on the ICSF board now?

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi All,

I'm no longer involved Paul, but I applaud the creation of two Vice-Presidents, one responsible specifically for fly casting and that is Thorgeir Gustavsen, a great appointment. The Fly Casting Commission members are Steinar Rostad, Allan Lahi and Riccardo Carrara. I'm sure they would be pleased to receive any suggestions directly about how the sport can grow, how it can be funded and how world championships can be conducted and costed. I would think Riccardo would be very interested to get any suggestions, given Italy are hosting the 2026 FCWCs.

There is a Marketing Commission, of which Riccardo is a member, and also a Youth in Sport Commission. Those two commissions should cover how the sport is funded and promoted and also how young casters can be attracted to and retained by both fly casting and traditional casting.

Only takes an email,

John
James9118

Post by James9118 »

I'll just leave this here; the data is from the ICSF website linked by Torsten above:-

1st World Cup, 6th May Vicenza, Italy - participation fee 50 Euros

2nd World Cup, 20th May Lenzing Austria - participation fee 50 Euros

3rd World Cup, 30th June - 2nd July Ceske Budejovice, Czech Rep - fee 180 Euros - includes meals and Banquet

4th World Cup, July 7-9th Nove Zamsky, Slovakia - participation fee 50 Euros

5th World Cup, Oct 20-22nd Tornowo Podgorne, Poland - participation fee 50 Euros - 150 Euros if food and Banquet is included

Then we have the Swedish WCs in Ahus - participation fee 550 Euros

So, not just a bit different, an order of magnitude different. Fly casters are getting well and truly shafted.

Hi John - the Spanish open will be on the 21st of July, all the other details are still to be finalised.

James.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Only takes an email,
:D :D

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

James9118 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:21 am I'll just leave this here; the data is from the ICSF website linked by Torsten above:-

1st World Cup, 6th May Vicenza, Italy - participation fee 50 Euros

2nd World Cup, 20th May Lenzing Austria - participation fee 50 Euros

3rd World Cup, 30th June - 2nd July Ceske Budejovice, Czech Rep - fee 180 Euros - includes meals and Banquet

4th World Cup, July 7-9th Nove Zamsky, Slovakia - participation fee 50 Euros

5th World Cup, Oct 20-22nd Tornowo Podgorne, Poland - participation fee 50 Euros - 150 Euros if food and Banquet is included

Then we have the Swedish WCs in Ahus - participation fee 550 Euros

So, not just a bit different, an order of magnitude different. Fly casters are getting well and truly shafted.

Hi John - the Spanish open will be on the 21st of July, all the other details are still to be finalised.

James.
Hi James,

Thanks for that comparative information about costs. I note the 3rd. and 5th. World Cup events have a 180 Euros and 150 Euro cost respectively. Unless things have changed that is for one night accomodation, food and banquet. Casters arrive Saturday, stay Saturday night and depart Sunday. The total cost of participation in Sweden is 750, 900 or 1100 Euro depending on the type of accomodation the caster selects, for 6 nights. Casters arrive on the 19th September and depart on the 25th September. I must be missing something, that seems a comparable daily rate to me. I can't see how the fly casters are getting shafted on costs for 6 nights in Sweden, even when compared to Norway in 2022.

Not sure about meals, we'll see the details soon.

Thanks for the info on the Spanish event, hope it is a great success.

John
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi John

The 3rd and 5th look like 3 day events, arrive friday, stay friday-sun 2 nights and leave sunday right? And it includes meal and banquet. No mention of overnight stays, it's two nights right? So Sweden is still alot more. If as you say you also get two nights stay in that price, there is no comparison at all.

Looking forward to see what happens with the pricing.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Lasse,

My apologies, you are correct 2 nights accom for 180 Euros for Friday and Saturday. That would include 4 meals plus banquet. It may include breakfast on Sunday but I suspect not.

Yes, it will be interesting to see the final daily cost and compare that to the 2022 WCs.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I know that you have personally paid the ICSF annual membership for Australia for very many years, John, which is highly commendable. The 400 fee makes it pretty tough for many of us who compete individually for a country.

For me right now it’s 950 Euros just to enter. I can understand charging 800 Euros fees for countries that have large participation numbers. But 400 for an individual seems to close the door to newcomers and some existing competitors.

It’s certainly quite a change of direction. You can see the problem. Some teams are sponsored and those competitors don’t pay to attend. Some actually get an allowance too. The rest of us, who aren’t sponsored, have to pay our way, high entry fees and now an additional ICSF annual membership fee.

When I first started doing this I used to sleep in my car. Staying in a hotel was quite out of the question. That was my way of making it affordable. (Actually to tell you the truth, I’d rather sleep outdoors than in a hotel anyway :laugh: I hate being indoors!)

I think what needs to happen is that we, as in the competitors, need to talk about this. Maybe the majority think this is a wonderful direction, it should be 3000 Euros, have to stay in the Ritz and associations should pay 10,000 and a sheep to the ICSF. What worries me is people just won’t go and the whole thing falls apart. Or maybe it should just be sponsored teams only? Maybe that’s the direction to go? I have no idea.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”