PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hauling - pulling fly line through the guides

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Hauling - pulling fly line through the guides

Post by Graeme H »

Torsten wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:42 am ...

Another interesting property is, that you can "passively" haul, just by keeping the hand about head height.

Greetings,
Torsten
Torsten,

What's your opinion on the timing of that passive haul relative to the rod's rotation?

As noted elsewhere, I believe it is not adding line speed to the rod tip speed when it's required most: at the end of the casting stroke.

Put another way, if the haul is exhausted prior to the maximum rod tip speed, the haul is adding nothing to the line speed. The line travels at the same speed as the rod tip, as if the haul was not present.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Graeme,

interesting question, I'd say it's in sync with the rod hand, because when you're moving / rotating the rod hand faster the distance between stripper guide and the haul hand is also increased at a higher rate. I think we're rather interested in increasing the line speed and less about the tip speed. Certainly I've the subjective impression of a higher line speed when doing this (compared to clamping the line @ the rod hand). Maybe Merlin/Gordy could try to model it.

Greetings,
Torsten
What's your opinion on the timing of that passive haul relative to the rod's rotation?

As noted elsewhere, I believe it is not adding line speed to the rod tip speed when it's required most: at the end of the casting stroke.

Put another way, if the haul is exhausted prior to the maximum rod tip speed, the haul is adding nothing to the line speed. The line travels at the same speed as the rod tip, as if the haul was not present.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Thanks Torsten.

My thoughts were that this passive haul is in sync with the translation phase of the casting stroke more that the rotation phase, and diminishing with rotation as that progresses. The closer the hauling hand is to the axis point of the rotation, the less line is being pulled through the guides.

A model might be of use.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

My subjective view is that the distance hauling technique is asymmetrical. A symmetrical movement would be much easier to learn and teach because most people can clap their hands or do star jumps.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Put another way, if the haul is exhausted prior to the maximum rod tip speed, the haul is adding nothing to the line speed.
Hi Graeme

A haul, even if exhausted before maximum tip speed, generates more speed thanks to the extra energy stored into the rod which is due to the extra force created by the haul (change in momentum). It is not only a question of adding speed. Now beware of the tail in the line.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Paul,

I'd say the difference between a back cast and a backhand cast is how you're positioning your shoulders. E.g. backhand you could stand square to the target, I'd say (for me) this is better for accuracy. Disadvantage is the constrained rod hand travel. For distance I'd choose the backcast, because your body is less constrained - I think this cast is also called beach cast. Mark Sedotti is known for this cast. I've looked in the EFFA master requirements and both are two different tasks.
Now to the haul position, I'd need more experimentation - the "indirect" haul could be an interesting feature when you keep the line hand high, also one benefit seems to me the higher starting position of the shooting line. Looks like some guys keep their hand about shoulder height for the back cast, maybe it's better than just hauling downward.

Greetings,
Torsten
I’m not sure I understand, Torsten. I use and teach exactly the same backcast and haul for long backhand shots and a 5WT distance backcast. Particularly in imaginary SW, as well as here in the jungle, the backcast I use comfortably opens up more angles with higher line speed and more accurate deliveries.

There are not many situations when I would use GF’s powerhaul in preference. I would need to be deep wading and facing some structure. A wall for example. That’s a rather exceptional situation.

Where do you see the advantages/differences?

Return to “Flycasting”