PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Defining Haul

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Walter
Answers: 0

Re: Defining Haul

Post by Walter »

Gary,

I thought of that too but I normally call that a strip set and, yes, I like to see a lot of those too :) . But if we say that a strip haul is “a hauling action used to shorten the amount of line outside the rod tip” the strip haul and strip set become the same thing. Actually, a simple strip fits under that description as well.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

For me that’s also Strip Set.

You could define the action as Haul: pulling line through the rings while the line is being cast. And then have Single Haul, Double Haul, Strip Haul, Check Haul etc.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think sometimes we do things instinctively and don’t realize we are doing them.
For sure. Maybe even everything.

Funny, while I learned the Slip Lift consciously, Haul Twist and Slide Loading were unconscious and I had to work out what I was doing to teach them.

When I make a change of angle “aerielised Single Spey” I slip line four times, some are complete slips and others are controlled line slips. Quite frankly I had no idea what I was doing. It’s a bugger to teach too, because you have to break the stroke down and train each component separately.

Still I’m sure it’s far quicker to be taught than it is for it to evolve. The final result we want to be the same, for everything to simply happen without conscious thought about our movements.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

InterestIng.

When I started this discussion I was thinking that the primary purpose of the haul was to increase line speed. Now I see that shortening line is almost as important. We may accomplish both at the same time but our intended purpose will be one or the other.

When we look at effectiveness and efficiency of the haul we will have to consider haul distance as well as haul speed. I described hauling while holding the line against the butt with the rod hand. It’s great for haul distance but I haven’t found it great for haul speed. I’m sure distance casters will be more interested in haul/line speed.

I’m also beginning to think that when we look at optimizing the haul and casting stroke holistically it might also give us some insight into advantages/disadvantages of the 170 style cast vs the traditional hard stop as well as translation and rotation for distance. Up till now I think we’ve only considered the casting stroke in those discussions. It may also add credence to your approach of starting with the haul.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree with that for sure. Considering the haul as simply an add-on to the Casting Stroke is a mistake. I would recommend that experienced casters build the Casting Stroke around their haul. I would also recommend spending a significant amount of time training the haul. Very few people have done this, as you can see from their hauling arm patterns. Failure to rotate the body to put the rod in front of the hauling hand is a common error. Another is to haul using a straight or almost straight elbow on the forward cast. These changes can immediately result in 10-15’ more distance. If these changes result in such a significant improvement, then maybe we can even go as far as to consider the original movements to be faults. :sorcerer:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I watched a number of non- expert casters at the recent show too. Watching casts is actually my favorite part of these shows.

Supposedly these folks are testing new rods but it takes a bit of courage to get in front of hundreds of other fly anglers... so I suspect many are just trying to show off.

Few have decent hauls. I cannot remember one actually, except of course the pros.

I learned years ago not to try to help... it is not appreciated. :D
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep. I’ve attended quite a few casting ponds over the years. Generally a big swinging backcast which is very exciting for whoever is standing to their right. :D

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Walter wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:18 am
When I started this discussion I was thinking that the primary purpose of the haul was to increase line speed. Now I see that shortening line is almost as important. We may accomplish both at the same time but our intended purpose will be one or the other.
If those were the only two reasons to haul, I have to wonder why I haul on just about every cast... even short ones when I want to gently present the fly?

BTW... Mac Brown is like a walking encyclopedia of casting history. He mentioned when the double haul was introduced into the world championships... by whom and when I forget. But, his point was that the gentleman who brought the double haul into the game won that year and set a new record... but only beat the previous record by a few feet.

Whether that means the haul does not really increase distance that much, or that the previous record holder had a fantastic non-hauled distance cast... I guess... is left up to others to decide.

Mangrove Cuckoo

BTW... Paul...

I just noticed that it looks like I have contributed over 1000 delusional posts to SL!

Do I win anything?

Or does it just prove that I need to get a life? :D

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I can send you one of my socks*, Gary. In another 1000 posts you’ll have a pair. Be warned however, they are alive!

Cheers, Paul

* as worn by former president Bush.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”