PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly Rods - slow or fast action

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Taylor8
Answers: 0

Re: Fly Rods - slow or fast action

Post by Taylor8 »

Paul,

Why do you think the loops unstable with the higher line weights like the HT12 you mentioned? Are you referring to HT12 with an MED5?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Bernd

Something like that?
virtual shootout.JPG
virtual shootout.JPG (30.45 KiB) Viewed 291 times
Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Taylor8 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:53 pm Paul,

Why do you think the loops unstable with the higher line weights like the HT12 you mentioned? Are you referring to HT12 with an MED5?
Yes that’s the 5MED on HT12. It’s either because you need a narrow abrupt casting arc, or because the loops start off very narrow. I don’t know. I do know any sort of wind and it was very difficult to control. In fact it was difficult just to get the cast started in blustery conditions.

If did make me think that in strong tailwind conditions we should consider dropping from a 10 to an 8.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

Is loop stability related to its angular momentum?
Smaller loop, less angular momentum, less stability?
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Rickard wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:45 pm I think that the rods in the middle have one advantage. They are more forgiving to cast. The stiffness allows you to power through some errors in the casting. The very soft or very stiff rods demands more precise power application.
Hi Rikard

Try casting three different rods with the same line on, at the same time. Its a fun excercise, and teaches you something about forgiving rods, or the lack there off...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

George C wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:18 pm Is loop stability related to its angular momentum?
Smaller loop, less angular momentum, less stability?
The other issue, I think, is loops that start narrow on a long carry can morph into a collision.

If the rod is not bending, then we have to generate line speed mainly from the haul. Significant rotation only serves to dome the fly leg. I think we just end up being limited by the amount of speed that we can generate into a straight fly leg.

I know many of us have cast rigid rods. There is no way that is what we want for distance. So there is undoubtedly a balance in there, and I think it is around 10WT for a ~90’ MED5 carry.

So yes bend matters. It turns rotation at the rod butt into translation at the rod tip. No bend we have a problem. Too much bend we have a problem. There is an optimal stiffness window.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:29 am
So yes bend matters. It turns rotation at the rod butt into translation at the rod tip. No bend we have a problem. Too much bend we have a problem. There is an optimal stiffness window.

Cheers, Paul
How big is that window in your oppinion?
And bend happens because you move the rod, you get it wether you like it or not.

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Alejandro’s broomstick is almost rigid Lasse. I know many of us have played with this. Obviously an extreme example.

I don’t know how large that window is. I’ve only cast 5, 6, 8, 10 and 12 in the HT range with a MED5. It will be interesting to try 9 and 11. But I’ll have to make them first.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

My arm is more rigid than Alejandros three buttsections stuck together, Alejandros rod is more pleasant to fish with a whole day, than no rod ;)

You should make a 14 and a 16 instead and see if it gets you 4 meters more :p

Cheers
Lasse

Rickard

Post by Rickard »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:37 pm
Rickard wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:45 pm I think that the rods in the middle have one advantage. They are more forgiving to cast. The stiffness allows you to power through some errors in the casting. The very soft or very stiff rods demands more precise power application.
Hi Rikard

Try casting three different rods with the same line on, at the same time. Its a fun excercise, and teaches you something about forgiving rods, or the lack there off...

Cheers
Lasse
I’m not totally sure that we are talking about the same thing here. I’m talking about it being easier to regain control of a long carry that has gotten out of control with a rod that is a bit stiffer. It might have to do with the longer lever we get from the stiffer rod.

Return to “Flycasting”