PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The most accurate fly rod

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

RSalar
Answers: 0

The most accurate fly rod

Post by RSalar »

Thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_2096.jpeg
IMG_2096.jpeg (164.86 KiB) Viewed 441 times
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: The most accurate fly rod

Post by Paul Arden »

Most people could hit a barn door. I don’t think the rod is the problem.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

It seems that a broomstick should be the rod of choice for casting accuracy.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Does that mean that not bending matters?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

So let me ask it this way: Do you think there is such a thing as really accurate rods and such a thing as rods that are not accurate? Or are all fly rods equally accurate? Does the amount of counterflex matter in fly casting accuracy? What about consistency in the way the rod flexes --meaning how straight the tip tracks each time the rod flexes. We all know that rods have a spine -- they bend in one direction easier than another. What if you put the spine on the side rather that either the top or bottom so that when the rod flexes the spine tends to move the tip off a straight line?

Thanks and Cheers,

Ben D Matters
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

In my experience, accuracy problems occur due to issues at the fat end of the rod rather than the thin one. Blaming the rod for inaccurate casting is like blaming the dog for farting. Nobody says anything but we all know who the real culprit is.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think that softer rods are more accurate than stiffer rods. Pokers are more difficult to track straight because the force application is relatively abrupt. Apart from that, oscillations left or right most certainly don’t make any real world casting difference – and in any case would affect the rod leg. It’s complete nonsense to believe otherwise.

Chris Korich is one of the finest accuracy castes I’ve seen. He uses a 25 year old Fenwick. We know Steve Rajaff and Maxine use softer rods for accuracy. Haysie used to win the Aussie championships using a fibreglass rod. If you want to be more accurate then use a softer rod.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Maxine used a very recent rod to beat everybody and the kitchen sink in 22. Most accurate casters are those that practice accuracy. One can hit a ping pong ball with a willow branch as a rod if one can cast.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Rods don’t cast themselves and oscillations don’t occur by themselves. Wobble in cast = oscillation in tip. No wobble, no oscillation.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:34 pm Maxine used a very recent rod to beat everybody and the kitchen sink in 22. Most accurate casters are those that practice accuracy. One can hit a ping pong ball with a willow branch as a rod if one can cast.

Cheers
Lasse
Is it a secret?

The rod... not that she kicked ***!

:D
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Tackle”