PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The most accurate fly rod

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: The most accurate fly rod

Post by Paul Arden »

VGB wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:40 pm Can you put it in fly casting, it hasn't been there yet. Once Nils has done his test, it can go back to physics, so that we can understand why this constitutes a valid dynamical component test. Then it can go in the competition section, where the laser point accuracy will be most appreciated.
:p :p
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:25 am
VGB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:42 pm
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:25 pm A plane. Still there is no straight tip path, nor will the fly line ever move straight. And tracking also will never be straight. BUT trying to keep the rod in plane often makes sense.
Regardless of what is happening to the fly line?
Hello Vince,
I dont understand your question. 🤪
Regards
Bernd
Hi Bernd

I’m trying to work out what you are trying to keep in plane and the intended outcome. The rod butt of most rods are fairly rigid, the rod tip, your wrist and the line are flexible. What combination of those 4 components are you trying to keep in plane?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Vince,
the rod = every part of it.
Regards
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Sorry Bernd, I still don’t follow, a plane for me extends indefinitely. I can keep the rod in a 2D plane and end up with a non loop or an underslung loop, maybe other outcomes as well if I’m feeling creative.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hello Vince,
I need 3 points (not along a straight line) to define the orientation of a plane. Since we fly cast in a 3 dimensional world (or 4 dimensional, if we add time), I like to understand a plane to have z=0 (being flat). In a basic overhead cast I want to accelerate and decelerate my rod within a plane and only one plane. That's what I call tracking.
This thread is about accuracy based on rod behaviour. Let's assume I cast in a vertical plane towards a target in front of me. I can't manage to move my rod in the vertical plane only. If I could, I would expect the rod to flex and straighten within the vertical plane, too. I doubt there are rods available where the tip would leave plane to any relevant level, while I keep the handle in plane. Since I cannot keep the handle in plane at all, I clearly expect the deviation for the tip (leaving plane) I bring in to be 100x bigger as what any rod may ever bring in.
In terms of loop shapes, trajectory or line speed, I can and do vary (or adjust) them, while keeping the rod as good as possible in plane.
As for every concept there are exceptations and in some casts I may change plane on purpose during accel. and deceleration.
Regards
B
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I can think of many times where I would like a vertical loop orientation from a canted rod. In those situations, my rod does not occupy the same plane throughout the cast. The rod tip follows a vertical plane while the rod doesn’t.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

I’m in the same boat Graeme, I see single rod based planes as a control drill not an end goal. As an example, I was rejigging my small stream lesson yesterday and ended up going from the dance to under the tip pick ups and over the tip presentation in a horizontal plane, a very flat oval tip path describes it. Lessons based on assessment tasks aren’t really appropriate for this environment.

Regards

Vince

VGB

Post by VGB »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:34 am I can't manage to move my rod in the vertical plane only. If I could, I would expect the rod to flex and straighten within the vertical plane, too. I doubt there are rods available where the tip would leave plane to any relevant level, while I keep the handle in plane.
For this to be true Bernd, the line would need to be in plane as well.

Regards

Vince

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Graeme H wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:15 am I can think of many times where I would like a vertical loop orientation from a canted rod. In those situations, my rod does not occupy the same plane throughout the cast. The rod tip follows a vertical plane while the rod doesn’t.
Hi Graeme,
If I understand you correct, you move your rod sideways (off vertical plane), but want the legs of the loop stay in vertical loop plane.
I have doubts, that this possible.
Counterflex happens faster as I can move my rod hand. The tip flexs to the inner side and not remain in the vertical plane, where the tip may have almost moved straight in for some part of the accel. tip path.
Here is what I do, to put the legs closer to the vertical plane, if I want that (which usually isn't the case).

Here is a picture of what I usually see from bird's view:
casting-2.jpg
How do you put the legs in the vert. plane when side casting?

Vince, Gaeme,
How do you define tracking and is it essential in your fly casting?
Regards
Bernd
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi,
Graeme H wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:15 am I can think of many times where I would like a vertical loop orientation from a canted rod. In those situations, my rod does not occupy the same plane throughout the cast. The rod tip follows a vertical plane while the rod doesn’t.
Sure, dynamic rolls, USD loops like e.g. Gebetsroiter style. Another example is accuracy casting with 7.5g "plugs" - back swing is not in the plane of the forward cast. I think the SLP is a more universal principle.

But back to the topic, Orvis seems to suggest, when we move the butt along a (vertical) plane, the rod tip for "ordinary" rods does some kind of wiggle dance. Have yet to see this ..

Greetings,
Torsten

Return to “Tackle”