PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rod tracking and accuracy

Moderator: Torsten

Rickard
Answers: 0

Re: Rod tracking and accuracy

Post by Rickard »

Even if we could see that the rod doesn’t move totally straight mounted in some rig, how much unbanked movement would be needed to affect the cast for a good caster?
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I'd say a good caster will have already allowed for any systematic tracking error introduced by the rod (if it even exists) while they cast. Every good caster I know can pick up any rod with any line on it and make great casts within about three false casts (I'm guessing the actual number of casts here, because that's about what it takes me).

If it's a consistent thing, the caster allows for it automatically because that's the skill of casting. It's like allowing for the wind as it blows the line sideways relative to the casting direction.

Unless we're saying a bad rod randomly introduces a tracking error of its own accord? Is that what this is about? Bad rod! Naughty rod!!! Time out for you ...

Of course, a bad caster won't be able to make consistent casts and may blame the rod for their own shit tracking. These guys might be tempted by a canny marketing guy to buy a rod that tracks more truly than the one they own now.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Further evidence: A tracking error manifests as a defect in the loop, often laying the leader sideways. Have any of you guys ever cast a rod that prevents the leader from straightening normally?
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Graeme H wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:08 am These guys might be tempted by a canny marketing guy to buy a rod that tracks more truly than the one they own now.
You must have come across exactly this when teaching. I have a student that has an incredibly accurate rod, it is advertised as such and costs a lot of money. He’s an aerospace engineer and for all other subjects, he’s perfectly rational and logical, except maybe badges on cars. I tried to sell him some incredibly accurate darts but he laughed because the flights and shafts were made from plastic. If I’d blinged them up a bit, I’m sure I could have sold them.

Cognitive biases colour all of our decision making whether we like it or not, the best we can do is be aware that our conclusions may be coloured by them. When I fish with my student and I catch more fish than him with my home made rod based on a cheap blank, it is entirely down to the magic fly I use and not the rod 😂.

I agree about systemic faults, we deal with offsets all the time. Driving is an obvious one, with the steering wheel being offset from the centre line. Our shoulders are offset from our body centreline and our hands even more so, the offsets can be varied but we compensate through experience and practice.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Graeme H wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:22 am Further evidence: A tracking error manifests as a defect in the loop, often laying the leader sideways. Have any of you guys ever cast a rod that prevents the leader from straightening normally?

Nope, still looking for one :p
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t think I’ve ever removed a discussion on the Board in 24 years of there being a Board. Even the spam we discuss. As Vince correctly points out that thread is now making a tour of the Board by popular request.

viewtopic.php?t=4146

So let’s say your typical caster is accurate to within a 12’ diameter hoop (typical casters miss all, or almost all, the 16 WC targets the first time they try accuracy (these outer hoops have a 1.8m diameter/6feet) but if the hoops were double that (I think) then more would commonly be hit than missed. Possibly away. It’s possible it needs to be a larger diameter hoop than 12’ for this to be the case. Really.

Now let’s just say that a rod deviates less side to side during recovery… how much improvement on accuracy are we actually looking at here with the rod… and are there any other ways to improve accuracy, for example a backcast target that aligns to forward target? For me, as a coach, I think the main causes of lack of accuracy are two fold: 1) backcast not aligned 180 and 2) backcast trajectory not aligned and then comes down with slack. I don’t think the rod matters much. Yes longer tip path will help but that just means a softer rod.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

Now let’s just say that a rod deviates less side to side during recovery… how much improvement on accuracy are we actually looking at here with the rod…
Paul,
In my experience more targets are missed due to a short or long distance error rather than a left or right azimuth error.
Gordy
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gordy,

That depends on the level of the caster. First it’s both. Later it should never be left right, only too long/short. Normally backcast target 180 comes first. Later comes trajectory. Of course I think that’s the obvious way to teach it, which will also have an impact over what we see.

Of the two length is the more difficult.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

does it make any difference if the tip eye is oval or round does anyone know?
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .

Return to “Flycasting Physics”