PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

How often do your students practise/train?

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: How often do your students practise/train?

Post by Paul Arden »

Like you Vince, I need to see the fish. That can be very hard on a short trip for your eyes to dial in. The poling platform gives better vision too. I’m not comfortable fishing under directions. I’m quite happy to give them however :D

Yes it runs the other way Gary, but it’s a hell of a lot easier to teach a mend to a SW guy than teach casting heavy gear and taking shots in the wind to a small stream guy. All good fun!

I have my students switch practise to the tackle they’ll fish a month or more out before a trip. Casting the same gear, same leader, with the same fly but with the hook bend removed.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally I find teaching presentation casts, as well as Spey casts, extremely beneficial for overall casting control. I’ll teach predominantly SW guys to Spey cast with the single handed rod, because I’ve found that it improves distance as well as is great for incorporating the Sweep movements into change of direction shots.

It’s also excellent for adding variety to casting training and keeping it interesting.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I hear guides constantly complain about "good" trout anglers who cannot make the casts you mention when they try the salt.
Trout strike…☹️ Can’t stop myself.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:48 pm taking shots in the wind to a small stream guy.
Using a 3wt on Dartmoor seems to be a pretty good lead in :D
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:02 pm

I hear guides constantly complain about "good" trout anglers who cannot make the casts you mention when they try the salt.
Trout strike…☹️ Can’t stop myself.
Stoats,

A gentleman I fish with frequently has the same problem. Translation: we fish frequently - he always trout strikes.

And I never miss the opportunity to point it out to him. :D

I even have about 5 minutes of film (for educational purposes only of course) that he stars in on how not to hook a tarpon.

One thing that helps is two hand stripping with the rod held in the arm pit.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I met a guide on Rutland who told me a story of a client of his who couldn’t help himself from strip setting with dry flies! Isn’t it interesting how this doesn’t work? I don’t believe it’s just angles or pressure. It must be timing and/or force. You can’t “trout” strike waked greased-up muddlers either. And you can’t strip set them taken static!!

Fascinating.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Interestingly, Bernd has posted on Facebook that he doesn’t have a problem with his students not training after a lesson. I would like to hear how he achieves that.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

You can find all sorts of nonsense on FB.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Bernd can speak for himself of course and I know he’s not enamoured with some of these concepts but I’m sure that, if that’s what he actually wrote, it isn’t what he meant.

There are occasions when rapid skill development is exactly what is needed because that’s what brings maximum happiness to the student. 20 minute combat teaching at shows for example. I don’t care if they practice or remember or anything else when I’m doing that…
…”did I get a smile ?” “Yes…” bosh…on to the next one. Do I do this in a 121 lesson ? No of course not. Do I want them to practice ? Of course I do, I’m certain Bernd does too.

What happens in these conversations, particularly on social media, is that we create, and then debate, false dichotomies. Direct v Indirect instruction, internal v external focus, blocked v variable practice, etc etc. These are not binary choices, one or the other, they all do different things, have different effects, different value, they are tools to be used to tailor a lesson to the specific needs of the people we teach in a whole variety of different contexts. Just ingredients in the cake mix.

Whether an instructor uses them or not is entirely down to them but that choice is only available if people are aware of them in the first place.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
NM

Post by NM »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:35 am Bernd can speak for himself of course and I know he’s not enamoured with some of these concepts but I’m sure that, if that’s what he actually wrote, it isn’t what he meant.

There are occasions when rapid skill development is exactly what is needed because that’s what brings maximum happiness to the student. 20 minute combat teaching at shows for example. I don’t care if they practice or remember or anything else when I’m doing that…
…”did I get a smile ?” “Yes…” bosh…on to the next one. Do I do this in a 121 lesson ? No of course not. Do I want them to practice ? Of course I do, I’m certain Bernd does too.

What happens in these conversations, particularly on social media, is that we create, and then debate, false dichotomies. Direct v Indirect instruction, internal v external focus, blocked v variable practice, etc etc. These are not binary choices, one or the other, they all do different things, have different effects, different value, they are tools to be used to tailor a lesson to the specific needs of the people we teach in a whole variety of different contexts. Just ingredients in the cake mix.

Whether an instructor uses them or not is entirely down to them but that choice is only available if people are aware of them in the first place.
Yes :pirate: :pirate:
I agree 100%
What we need more of, though, is a discussion of when to use what for whom, in what context, for what purpose, and for adressing what issue.

Return to “Teaching”