PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

OSD

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: OSD

Post by Paul Arden »

James9118 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:23 am No idea who this young lad is :D :D :D , but would this count as a '170' (note the closed stance)?:

Then you have the steppers - I'd say most currently deliver closed stance.

James
Of course that’s 170! That’s the original 170 stance we were using 20 years ago.

There are many casters somewhere between OSD and 170. Neither here nor there. That’s seems to be where most people end up on their own devices.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:57 am
There are many casters somewhere between OSD and 170. Neither here nor there. That’s seems to be where most people end up on their own devices.

Cheers, Paul
I agree, and perhaps that's why I keep mentioning it. To me, one of the key discriminators between the two is the force input, with the '170' being much later than OSD. When someone has cast OSD all their lives, making the transition to the force input timing required by the 170 is difficult - I know I struggled with it.

James.
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Old habits die hard!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James,

I wouldn’t call that OSD. OSD for me is also a trained distance stroke. Momentum created low in the body with weight shift, then torso twist and then shoulder rotation. Weight shift stops, torso rotation blocks, forearm brakes and the wrist flips. Momentum has travelled to the hand/rod via the wrist.

That’s very specific and trained. That’s not what most people do, who usually cast and try to power the rod with the forearm. That’s untrained. That’s not my use of the term OSD. I don’t know what you’d call that.

It’s also different to the 170 backcast, where we have weight shift, torso, shoulder, then weight shift stops, torso blocks, and then the forearm flips.

So from a technical standpoint with OSD, momentum is ultimately transferred to rotate the rod via the wrist and with the 170 via the elbow. The forward cast can be similar or identical after ignoring Slide, so the big differences are in the backcast.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

For me, this is 170. Its a better clip than the one in the hall with the low ceiling calling for more sidearm casting. Getting the wires down helped alot :D

The difficult thing is to notice when they are close in the techniques, when they are far apart its easy.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Nice!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The difficult thing is to notice when they are close in the techniques
They should be distinct! Otherwise there is something missing from each. For me there is a very obvious “gear change” between the two.

One of the great things about teaching the 170, is that you can reign in OSD, make it more compact and efficient.

Take one distance stroke, that most people have, and make it two. This has the benefit of Old Way /New Way, that Mark put us on to. But instead it’s New Way /New Way. :pirate:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Paul

I disagree, you are deliberatly holding back on your OSD cast there, to make sure the difference is seen. Hang up another 10-15 feet of carry, and it gets less pronounced.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Not at all Lasse. I carry more that way than trying to power through with the forearm. 86’ is comfortable for me with that technique. Switching to 170 gives me more of course.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Just for the record Pauly, 86’ is more than I can throw 🙄!!

Return to “Flycasting”