PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

OSD

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Vinny
Answers: 0

Re: OSD

Post by Vinny »

Thanks Paul
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Why does your loop open when you move your hand further back? Thats weird.
I see no mechanical advantage to taking the forearm to an angle further back for distance.
Operative word: angle.

Are you looking for improvements or are you happy with that?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Am I correct about Lasses’ video?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

For me it’s all OSD with varying degrees of effectiveness. Example 2 and the beginning of 3 I would pursue. Lasse has been 170ing for 20 years, so developing OSD hasn’t been a high priority. That was the same for me until about 4 years ago. Why strive to make OSD more effective when you have another gear? That said, I think developing it has many benefits.

Cheers,,Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

🤔
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

:???:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I can see I better do the full demo of all distance techniques next 🤣

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
umm, Steve

Post by umm, Steve »

Yes, please, and thank you. Take your time, even if it takes all weekend. :D
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

For me, one of a few of the basic distinctions between OSD and 170 is bracing the rod butt against the forearm. I don't do it on OSD but do on 170.

But, Lasse, above in the video, it looks like you brace on OSD also???

(I'll try that!. Bracing is a very key ingredient, for me, when fishing with rods 10 and up. The big weight shift I use in 170 is impractical on a skiff... and completely out of the question when standing in a canoe. So that part of 170 is for fun casting only.)

I also noticed that you strip the line in between casts by placing it in your rod hand and pulling it tightly. Is that just because the line needed stretching or cleaning?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:02 am That should come as no surprise John, since I learned it from you and Phil! Totally changed how I analyse and understand casting body movement. It also has given me more line speed on the backcast and enabled me to create some highly specific drills such and “Lift and Flip” and “Lift and Haul and Flip”.

Most casters start with the hand and follow with weight shift, which is of course backwards to what we want. OSD isn’t for me just standing in open stance and waving the rod around, it’s about generating momentum initially with weight shift and allowing this to pass up through the body segments, utilising a sequence of blocking and braking movements to release the rod hand and drive rod rotation.

Done this way timing the haul and force application is very easy, because the rod accelerates when the forearm brakes and we time the haul to coincide with this flail. It’s not later timing, instead it’s a different mechanism.

I see no mechanical advantage to taking the forearm to an angle further back for distance. The result of doing this is that the loop opens, and we lose carry. The only time I see an advantage in doing this, is on something like the Snakehead Shot, where the longer hand path allows us to slip more line prior to the Casting Stroke.

Steve is an excellent demonstrator of this stroke.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

No better exponent than Steve Rajeff. Most US fly distance casters use the same technique. The important difference I take from watching US casters is the position of their casting side elbow relative to the the line that traverses the shoulders. The elbow stays in front of that line. That is a major difference. I have a different view of the forearm angle movement range with any distance stroke.

John

Return to “Flycasting”