PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Father Time & fly rod choice

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Father Time & fly rod choice

Post by Lou Bruno »

Greetings

As we all get older, I'm curious do we elect to use higher weight rods to compensate for any loss in physical strength we experience? For instance, moving up to a 12wt instead of the 11wt.

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Father Time & fly rod choice

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

I would expect to maybe go softer. I wouldn’t go heavier. But hopefully skill eclipses muscle loss. And of course we can help postpone this by physical exercise (weights, Z2 and yoga).

I’m not sure when this happens but mid 70s/80s I think in general. But one of my friends is 74 and you’d think he was 10 years younger. My ambition is to be like that. :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Lou,

It would be the opposite for me. I need more strength to use a 12 than an 11 from any given family of rods. (That is, I'd find a Sage Method 12 harder to use than a Sage Method 11.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
umm, Steve

Post by umm, Steve »

For me, part of getting older has been understanding and accepting limitations. I'm ok with it; it helps make way for the next generation. It took a while to get there, but here we are.
George C

Post by George C »

My fishing buddy is 83 yo. Has prostate cancer controlled but slowly progressive on hormonal Rx……which causes muscle loss. He fishes about 300 days a year. Salt and freshwater. Usually 4-6 hrs a day. Even in near freezing conditions. Ties flies at night. Casts about 60’. Likes moderate action rods. His balance and stamina are limiting so he paces himself. His enthusiasm is boundless.
His optimism relentless. He catches a lot of fish.

With age, vigor and strength are no longer measured by muscle. Rather they are functions of attitude.
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Thanks for the replies, all good advice. Thank goodness the industry gives us so many choices that can keep us going!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

There is also the choice of using light double handed rods, which many instructors have told me have extended the fishing career of others. But I really think if you have developed good casting technique over a lifetime of fly fishing, then casting shouldn’t be a problem. I met Lefty in his late years and he could still chuck a line.

It’s the other things that are a problem. Flexibility, stamina and strength. Getting around, climbing in an and out of boats, wading. And I do think there is a lot we can do about that.

I know a few board members and FP team members listen to Peter Attia on this subject. Which I would highly recommend. You’ll have to go through the archives and they are outstanding. Of course he’s a 50yr old. I’m a 50yr old. Maybe things will look different in 30 years.

https://peterattiamd.com/

The takeaways are, as we get older we need to train. For those who regularly train anyway this is a good thing. The big problem I see, is most people don’t exercise, eat poorly, don’t stretch and then wonder why they get exhausted or injured during outdoor activities.

I agree it’s a mental game. My father goes to gym every day and he’s in his mid 80s. He’s not fit like he was in his mid 20s but he’s certainly fit. Of course we are constrained to a point by our genetics. But there are things we can do within these limitations.

I don’t do Ironman because I enjoy it. I do it because I was turning 50 and didn’t like my fitness trend. IM makes me train six days/week or 15hrs/week. At some point I’ll have to find something else probably but I do intend to be a fit barstool as I get older. In the outdoor fly fishing life that we live, this is important.

Last week my guests were very unsure of themselves getting between boats. I have 50yr old guests who have the same problem!! For me it’s very worrying because their fitness, balance and flexibility is suspect. Tim is the same age as my guests of last week however and he helps me carry petrol up and down the staircase of hell! He doesn’t have to, but he wants to.

No question we are going to fall apart but at what rate I believe we have an influence. I hope so anyway!! :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul

You raise so many good points... excellent reply. Be mindful of our physical changes and modify any exercise routine to keep us going.

Lou

Return to “Saltwater”