PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Structuring multiple lessons

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Structuring multiple lessons

Post by Paul Arden »

John Waters wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:49 am
Paul Arden wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:09 am It is. But isn’t the question then how to teach these? That’s the interesting part.

Cheers, Paul
Thanks John. I also have three levels.

1 is the novice caster. I personally don’t think we should be directly teaching them pattern or worrying too much about it. I think the entire focus should be on developing loop control. Even if it’s at the expense of what we would consider good form. Have them casting in all positions, shaping different loops, making mistakes even. Exploring a full range of motions. If this stage doesn’t occur I think we lose robustness and an ability for them to act on the fly later on.

This stage might take 6 months. It can take several years, particularly if they are just fishing. It’s quite possible to get a fly fisher of very many years of experience who has never progressed through or fully developed this stage of learning. Loop control drills. Circles 8s and Straights. Triangle Drill. Taking the line for a walk. Etc. with coaching and training it’s possible to condense 15 years of fishing casting into one to two years of casting development.

2 autonomous casting. The student can cast, can control loops, with variable line lengths. Has a double haul of sorts. This is a typical entry point for me. They might have been fishing for 15 or 50 years. Or even only 2. Certainly it’s possible to get there far quicker nowadays with online content.

It’s at this point when I think we should introduce pattern. I see it as we have all the range of movement available and now we are going to help them hone it. Most of my Zoom students arrive in this category. Not all but probably about 80%.
Block and Flip. Launch Drill. Different stops. Just having them do the drills in 1 will only take them so far. They need to develop better movement patterns.

3 elite level. We both have students at this level. This is mostly competition level (but doesn’t have to be) where every little thing needs to be analysed because at this level everything matters.

I don’t think it’s always three distinct student groups however, instead it’s ladders, multiple ladders in fact because there are different disciplines in flycasting. But I would broadly put students into these levels. Most will reach the end of stage 1 given enough time. That can be sped up considerably with coaching. Without coaching it’s very difficult to advance significantly through 2.

I think 1 is often very poorly taught. Instructors seem to be teaching parts of 2 to group 1. I’ve certainly made that mistake before myself!

I do think how we teach 1, 2 and 3 are all a little different. It’s the cause of some of our differences here. That’s why it’s important when discussing “how” to mention “who”, because they require different approaches. If we are focusing on movement pattern this is different to learning loop control. Typically in group 2 we will work on pattern at the expense of loops and then “fix” the loops later.

In coaching we see mention of the “three stages of learning”, finishing with autonomous. That’s the very beginning of my generalised second student level.

Now it’s also true the “how” can also be similar. You can set constraints in 1 that lead to the discovery of patterns. And in 2 you can (and probably should) teach using constraints also. Teaching is teaching. It’s certainly possible to create huge problems by introducing something too early on. We want to be constantly challenging our students but it should still be achievable… and not too disruptive! Every new challenge is a small spanner in the works. Put too big spanner into a small wheel and all the spokes fall out. For me that’s the equivalent of introducing pattern before loops have been learned.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

Hi John
Attend a WC and talk to competitors about that.
Are they there for a lesson? Performance or learning?
Gary has stated it is used to teach kids in the US how to be quarterbacks. Unless I am mistaken and, or ignorant of the terminology you have used, would that not be based on coaching individual muscle groups dynamically in the cognitive stage?
When and how is it taught? What is being stretched and released?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul
John, I think an external cue would be to reach (or hold) back with the hand as the chest turns to target.

I have a similar issue with casters not fully straightening their rod arm (or hauling arm, or both) on stopless backcasts. For them I have them really stretch out to imaginary targets in the distance and accelerate to this point. I will have them first stretch out and then ask them to cast to this position.

Even though stretch is an internal cue, stretching out to something is external. I believe I get better results asking them to stretch out to a target.
I have said before that I ask students to leave the rod behind as they transition from the back cast to the forward, Nils liked this instruction. Given that my students are typically looking backwards with an open stance to monitor their backcast, they are rotating their torso to attend to the forward cast. I do this to get them to delay rotation though not wind up for a distance cast.

Straightening my rod arm is difficult due to the rotator cuff issue.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Post by VGB »

Just a quick reminder of how simple the 3 stages of learning are:
IMG_2216.jpeg

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Vince,

As usual, in bold.

John
VGB wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:00 am Hi John
Attend a WC and talk to competitors about that.
Are they there for a lesson? Performance or learning?

What do you think?
Gary has stated it is used to teach kids in the US how to be quarterbacks. Unless I am mistaken and, or ignorant of the terminology you have used, would that not be based on coaching individual muscle groups dynamically in the cognitive stage?
When and how is it taught? What is being stretched and released?

Now unless I have missed something when I translated Gary's post from US English to Australian English, I thought I read that he was referring to hip and shoulder separation AND I thought he referred to it being taught to "kids" who where learning to be a quarterback. So, I suspect it is being taught in the first two stages of learning, and at an early age, don't you think? As to how, I thought I posed that question? Maybe you should ask gridiron coaches that question and let us know what answer you obtained. The agonist and antagonist musculature of the torso and arm are being stretched and released.

Regards

Vince
VGB

Post by VGB »

What do you think?
I think that you are referring to poor performance causing disappointment but trying to shoehorn it into the 3 stages of learning.
Maybe you should ask gridiron coaches that question and let us know what answer you obtained. T
We are not exactly overrun with them here. Why don’t you ask them, it’s your casting objective?

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Paul,

I agree a modular or tiered approach is the way to go. People can enter at different levels, but importantly move back as well as forward through the levels. I introduce rotational separation concurrent with any centre of mass linear movement, so it is from the start. Unlearning is much harder than learning. I find for distance, reverse engineering the stroke can be very beneficial so knowing what to feel, and when to feel it is a powerful benchmark to establish at the start, and be able to revert back to. As to cueing, there are a number of external cues to use, but I transition to them after using an internal cue, If the right internal cue is used, it accelerates the distance casting learning curve. Getting the caster to personally experience and internalise what his/her body feels when the movement is performed is powerful. The earlier you introduce it, the better because they experience the change of feel as they transition from "I don't know what it feels like" to "now I know what it feels like". In my opinion that is a worthwhile investment. If the right aids are used, the time taken is not long. Then devote time to identifying what external cues are most applicable for each individual.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

How do you teach the distance backcast, John? A similar thing? I had a good student yesterday improve his backcast by pulling the rod butt in flat towards him. This motion is also coming from the chest.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I don’t think I teach that John. Not in any direct way for sure.

I can definitely see the value in focusing on it for distance work. I agree with Paul though, It’s not something I would choose to introduce early in the learning process when I want the minimum number and maximum visibility of external cues, what the line is doing usually.

It’s worth bearing in mind that I’m not commonly prepping anyone to throw “as far as they can”. I’m teaching them how to adapt their movement to meet the environmental demands. These are quite different objectives.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:06 am
What do you think?
I think that you are referring to poor performance causing disappointment but trying to shoehorn it into the 3 stages of learning.

No, that assumption is incorrect.
Maybe you should ask gridiron coaches that question and let us know what answer you obtained. T
We are not exactly overrun with them here. Why don’t you ask them, it’s your casting objective?
Nor are we here. I have not consulted any US football quarterback coaches. However I have consulted widely with a number of individual, widely published PhDs in the disciplines of biomechanics, motor learning, exercise physiology and sports science. Now I may be wrong, again, but in my humble opinion, each of these individuals could be described as a SQEP in the sports science of movement performance and movement learning. Perhaps not to the level of expertise of some SQEP's I have read about, but hey, we've all got our limitations.

John

Return to “Teaching”