PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

fly rod resonation

Moderator: Torsten

Vicente G
Answers: 0

fly rod resonation

Post by Vicente G »

Hello everyone, I saw a post mentioning fly rod resonation, anybody could introduce me to this subject? or point me in the direction so I could learn what is it about and how it affects casting?; Is resonation what we usually call rod vibration?
Im aware casting physics and material sciences include advanced topics and technical jargon that might be confusing, but I'm willing to learn and investigate to comprehend these subjects.
Thanks everyone
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: fly rod resonation

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Vicente,

My understanding is that we are mostly looking at how the tip vibrates after RSP2. Several things affect this. One is how tightly we grip the rod. Two is how heavy the line and whether flyline is inside the rings (or running or shooting line) and three the physical characteristics of the rod.

For example a rod that is fitted with heavy components or has more weight in the upper sections will bounce more than one that hasn’t/doesn’t.

For a rod to damp well the hand absorbs the vibrations. For this to happen the rod must also flex to the hand. A very rigid butt section can lead to damping difficulties.

Apart from that I don’t know and it can be a case of trial and error. It’s a great topic. Every time we discuss it we seem to get a little bit further with our understanding.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Vicente

Could you please post the link to the post you mention. That will help understanding your point. Thanks.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Vicente G

Post by Vicente G »

Merlin wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:03 pm Hi Vicente

Could you please post the link to the post you mention. That will help understanding your point. Thanks.

Merlin
hi Merlin, yeah this is the post I saw, viewtopic.php?p=81260#p81260, its Graeme's one on the second page where he says something about rod resonation and that he put ball sinkers into the butt en on his rod when he was building it
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Vincente,

That idea came from this thread by Berlin many years ago:

viewtopic.php?t=2149#p34082

He was tuning the resonance of his rods with a system that allowed fine tuning. Mine is permanent but I'm quite happy with the result.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Walter

Post by Walter »

"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.

Return to “Flycasting Physics”