PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Newcomer to sexy loops

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah - different problem. Will answer this evening, just heading out with Ti for a curry :) :)
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Finn
Answers: 0

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by John Finn »

Little more info Paul, I spend most of my time from May on fishing dry. more false casting and this is when the problem is at its worst.Sounds like a serious problem if you need food before you tackle it. :D ................John.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi John, this is caused by casting in an oval, for example Austrian Style, under the tip over the tip. Or indeed lots of Soey casting in one direction. Casting straight over the rod tip back and forwards will fix it - or cast to hit the reel a few times!

(Or swap hands every other cast :p )

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Paul Arden »

Ti says - and he's right for once - that you can cast almost all the line out and holding the line in a loop below the handle, twist the rod inside the loop and this can work (if you're Chinese).

Flycasting Definitions
John Finn

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by John Finn »

Thanks Paul and Ti, Think I am casting in an oval ,maybe right and left of rod tip rather than under and over if you know what I mean. Anyway practice is needed with somebody watching.
Looking forward to snakehead photos . Never knew such a creature existed until I found this site. What a life!
Best of luck..................John
VGB

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by VGB »

I suffer from line twist and this helped:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4O5YBSapRg[/youtube]

regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
John Finn

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by John Finn »

Thanks Vince , will definitely try that if I cant fix my casting stroke, which will be difficult cos I have been doing it wrong for many years.
Regards.................John
Marc Fauvet

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Marc Fauvet »

hi John,
here's a little piece i wrote about line twist in conjunction to the video Vince posted.
hope it helps :)
http://thelimpcobra.com/2013/08/08/a-ne ... on-twists/

cheers,
marc
Lasse Karlsson

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Marc

Why didn't you included the two major reasons to get twists in the Line behind the linehand that is holding the Line in tension?

Hauling in circles, and moving the rodhand in ovals with sharp turns. Oval casting of the rodtip doesn't really cause that much problems, but is all to often blamed for linetwists.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Finn

Newcomer to sexy loops

Post by John Finn »

Thanks Marc ,just read that and its really helpful. Definitely agree with your first point about big flys especially big spent wing ones twisting leader only. Stopped using Stroft with Mayflys for this reason.
I am pretty certain that my rod tip is moving in an oval track Lasse not sure about my rod hand. Does it follow that it must be, even slightly to give oval rod tip movement. I need to really look at what I am doing.
Thanks to all................................John

Return to “Beginners”