PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Polarised glasses

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

squish
Answers: 0

Polarised glasses

Post by squish »

The Hot Sands are a comfortable frame & a good fit. I'm really impressed with the HT lens too.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Polarised glasses

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah High Transition, yes better than simply calling them "green" :p When I first tried them I walked around the harbour peering in around the edges and so on. That colour for me anyway, is truly excellent - although no doubt it depends on your eyes too - I'm slightly colour blind between blue and green. Before this I was using Bronze MJs and so I compared the two back-to-back.

That said, I know that different waters - and even different fish species* - will be sighted better with different coloured lenses. While the High Transition (green) works well in Hungary and Malaysia, I don't know how it would be on a NZ backcountry river which is a different background colour completely. In the Maldives they allowed in too much light, but I could spot bonefish over coral. Most of the SW guys I know prefer blue lenses.

Cheers, Paul

* with some fish species we're actually looking for colour. If we could choose a lens that would highlight that colour in preference to the others then I believe this would be a real advantage.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
squish

Polarised glasses

Post by squish »

Paul Arden wrote:Ah High Transition, yes better than simply calling them "green" :p When I first tried them I walked around the harbour peering in around the edges and so on. That colour for me anyway, is truly excellent - although no doubt it depends on your eyes too - I'm slightly colour blind between blue and green. Before this I was using Bronze MJs and so I compared the two back-to-back.

That said, I know that different waters - and even different fish species* - will be sighted better with different coloured lenses. While the High Transition (green) works well in Hungary and Malaysia, I don't know how it would be on a NZ backcountry river which is a different background colour completely. In the Maldives they allowed in too much light, but I could spot bonefish over coral. Most of the SW guys I know prefer blue lenses.

Cheers, Paul

* with some fish species we're actually looking for colour. If we could choose a lens that would highlight that colour in preference to the others then I believe this would be a real advantage.
The HCL lens (high contrast) is excellent if you want colours to be enhanced. I use the HCL in NZ and CXI, and the HT in shaded streams here in Oz.

Cheers
Darren
desmondo

Polarised glasses

Post by desmondo »

Thanks for the replies and food for thought. I accept the better optics etc but this purchase is for fishing only. I have 2 pairs of Ray Bans for general use but I don't think they are any better than the cheaper ones for seeing fish. I have a birthday coming up so maybe mrsb might treat me. Thanks again.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Polarised glasses

Post by Paul Arden »

I get approx one year out of each pair. Occasionally six months when I either drop them or coat them in insect repellent :p I either wait and buy them tax free in an airport or else negotiate with a dealer in Hungary. There must be some pretty good margins because I saved 40 euros on a 140 euro pair last time (I also threw in a 20 minute casting lesson :cool: )

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
desmondo

Polarised glasses

Post by desmondo »

Going abroad at weekend so will look at airport shops. Not sure my casting skills will get a discount!!
Ta Des
Haggisboy

Polarised glasses

Post by Haggisboy »

If you are ever in the states look up sierra tradingpost website, you can get some sweet deals on Smith and Costas if they are in stock.

Return to “Tackle”