PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

backing connection and shark flies

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Gilly
Answers: 0

Post by Gilly »

Hi Guys,

I've done double biminis for my backing to fly line connection on my 10 and 12#'s (to gelspun) but on my 8# I've used ordinary backing and the knot is looking kinda lumpy. Do you think I can get away with just a single bimini.

Also keen to catch a lemon shark as I'm walking around the island when I'm not out on the boats. I have a bit of a thing about sharks!
What flies? Advice etc and how do you get the fly out of their mouths!!!!!!

Gilly.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Gilly, you need to entice James and Tracy out for a beer, although toffee vodka works equally well. James has previous with sharks and I think you are not too far distant from each other.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Gilly wrote:Hi Guys,

What flies? Advice etc and how do you get the fly out of their mouths!!!!!!

Gilly.
Hi Gilly,

I fish standard bait-fish streamer patterns. You don't need to go too big with these either, I've found a 2.5 - 3 inch fly on a 2/0 is adequate. I favour patterns with a splash of red in them.

As for unhooking, a pair of 5 inch forceps is what I go with :oh: . But I like to live dangerously :whistle: .
CIMG3098.jpg
Seriously though be careful, they can turn very quickly. I've now got a long handled screwdriver with a 'Vee' notch cut in it.
That said, sharks are immense fun and run a long way against a heavy drag.
WJC

Post by WJC »

Advice etc and how do you get the fly out of their mouths!!!!!!
ARC dehookers work well. They come in lengths from about a foot long to about 3 feet long. They will dehook throat or even gut-hooked fish. Don't know if they are available wherever you are.
I've done double biminis for my backing to fly line connection on my 10 and 12#'s (to gelspun) but on my 8# I've used ordinary backing and the knot is looking kinda lumpy. Do you think I can get away with just a single bimini.
I assume the double is because you're worried about a single loop cutting your fly line loop. If that's the problem you could do a real big loop with single bimini then double the loop with a surgeon's knot. That will give you two knots, each smaller than what you have.

Or...... with braided dacron, like 30# micron or bigger, you can do a blind splice loop using a length of leader wire bent in half. If you are afraid it will cut into your fly line loop, you can, again, make the blind-spliced loop way big, and use a surgeons knot to double the strands and have just one knot.

Or..... if you know some conventional fishermen, you can get some dacron trolling braid from them and up-splice to whatever diameter you want, and make your loop from that thicker trolling braid. Then you will have no knots in the backing at all. Dacron trolling braid has been hollow, therefore spliceable, for about 50 years.

Cheers,
Jim

Return to “Saltwater”