PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Structuring multiple lessons

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Structuring multiple lessons

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:49 am The nice thing about these casts is you can practise in your garden (if you have a garden), even if it’s small. In fact you can probably practise indoors.
I do Paul, I’ll do it in my lunch break when I’m working from one. These are typical exercises, I vary the rod/line set up, the targets are all randomly placed.

I used to have a flower border in the back garden but all the heads fell off the daffodils during a casting session.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Yes the constraints are tighter. But that’s what happens as we progress; the constraints get narrower which is how to develop our performance.
I’m sure this is another Groundhog Day but how do you define performance? You could argue that random equipment and random tasks more like Danish Games are a good indicator of performance. A F1 car is undoubtedly a high performance machine until you take it off road.

Performance is measured against a declared objective and we have a huge range of potential objectives in competition and distance.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:29 am
My objective in short line casting is put the fly in the desired area, with the desired delivery line layout.
That’s good John, lots of potential solutions - curves, mends, piles and the opportunity to improvise casts.
What top level objectives do you pick up on when instructing a student in open water, long line casting skills and objectives?
My sub objectives would be the ability to generate controlled wide loops, reduce the dependency on the rod arm to generate distance, line control during fishing, to recognise the symptoms of overhang and ticking, and be able to correct them. Unfortunately, this is not possible in a single lesson.

Regards

Vince
It's funny Vince, ;) in competition accuracy casting instructors get the student to generate wide controlled loops as a key fundamental to enhancing sighting and hover skills. They also reduce focus very much on reducing the dependency on the rod arm to generate distance, as I've said you don't want your student to have an arm-centric casting technique even for short line accuracy competitions. Of course as you would know, ticking the water kills a good accuracy score. Each of these short line skills become the foundation of any open water, long line casting skill. From that foundation, one of the key outcomes is recognising the symptoms of overhang and managing overhang variability. Very similar to your sub-objectives with a fly fishing student aren't they?

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The dog seems impressed!

How do you structure your presentation casting lessons, Vince? Do you teach using key casts or is it all line manipulation without cast names?

Do you then go deeper (eg curve cast with slack at the apex vs slack at the fly)? Personally I’ve always thought that sort of thing, while fun, was also a bit over the top… I’ve never been in a situation where it’s actually mattered! I have several times in the past spent many long hours working on snap curves thinking I’d find a use for them, but never have! No doubt one day the situation will arise and I throw the fly neatly into a tree :laugh:

Do you consider the B&A cast to be fly fishing or is it a cheat like some think French Nymphing is a cheat?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Not really John, I can look at any number of fly casting championship videos and see a closely bound objective generating a narrow range of solutions. You know what task and what equipment you will use every single time you compete. You will never be handed a 10’ #5 rod and line with a team of 3 beaded nymphs and asked to perform a distance or accuracy cast, or asked to perform accuracy up to your chest in water. If you were, it would not be the same solution that you practice week in, week out.

Regards

Vince

VGB

Post by VGB »

The dog seems impressed!
Sadly, no longer with us. It was too hot for him but he wouldn’t go indoors until I did.
How do you structure your presentation casting lessons, Vince? Do you teach using key casts or is it all line manipulation without cast names?
Very much the latter. I prefer to set typical problems that they will face and see if they can solve them, giving a bit of a nudge towards the solution where necessary. I don’t try to memorise the myriad of cast names, it strikes me as being too much like stamp collecting :D
Do you then go deeper (eg curve cast with slack at the apex vs slack at the fly)?
I’ll play with that but my top level objective will be that static fly. In fast moving water an underpowered curve that leaves the fly in slack water and the line in faster water is a great fish catching cast, and I practice that a lot. The current brings the curved line downstream with the intent of not moving the fly.
Do you consider the B&A cast to be fly fishing or is it a cheat like some think French Nymphing is a cheat?
I use the B&A but there are sometimes better solutions like skittering a bushy dry fly upstream with leader only roll casts. I do FN because I have to teach it but it does bore me unless I’m sight fishing. It’s a great tool to catch lots of fish in most circumstances but I don’t go out with the intent of trying to empty the river any more.

Regards

Vince

VGB

Post by VGB »

Not arm centric and with torso twist?

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

how do you define performance?
I would think be how closely the fly and line lands according to our objectives. At first we might just want to curve or bend the line. Then we might want to curve around an obstruction. Then around the obstruction and into a target. The target can become increasingly smaller and the obstruction increasingly further away. Then we can add slack line to the system. We can also follow the same process off the opposite shoulder, and also by using a Jump Roll and later a Spey cast. The more challenging the successfully completed task the higher the casting ability of the angler.

Performance can be measured by how close the line and fly lands to our intended layout. By how my times it can be done on the first attempt out say 10 random distance layouts. By how challenging the layout/constraints.

For example performing a curve cast into a tea cup, 8’ around the back of a tree trunk, at 65’ distance, using a Single Spey, is considerably harder than just bending the line. Consequently the performance level can be said to be higher, because of the constraints that we created to make the cast more challenging.

Must shoot a video before a storm rolls through. Now where is my tea cup? No actually it’s a different video :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll play with that but my top level objective will be that static fly. In fast moving water an underpowered curve that leaves the fly in slack water and the line in faster water is a great fish catching cast, and I practice that a lot.
Ok in that case it’s useful. I still don’t know if it’s better to have the slack at the fly or the apex. Or if it even matters. I suppose it might be similar to hitting the crossbar.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I agree with your performance definition Paul and I include non dominant hand casting as well, I’m using it more and more in teaching as well as fishing. For me, I want slack at the fly and with a dry I stick the longest tippet on I can manage and still hit the target area under the prevailing conditions. The conditions are highly variable off course and I’m just about to head out to a local stream that I expect to be very different to last year after the winter spates.

Regards

Vince

Return to “Teaching”